Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
This mushroom barley soup is healthy, hearty, and deliciously comforting. It's easy to make, flavorful, and will warm you up!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled & chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 12 ounces portobello mushrooms chopped
- 7 ounces white mushrooms chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 dashes Italian seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped (optional)
Prep your onion, carrots, and celery. Add them to a large pot along with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms.
Stir the mushrooms into the pot and sauté for another 5 minutes.
Add the Italian seasoning, garlic, vegetable broth, water, and barley to the pot. Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the barley is cooked (it should be al dente, not mushy).
Season with salt & pepper as needed. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- The barley in the soup will soak up more water the longer you cook it (and especially if you leave it in the fridge for a few days). If the liquid level gets too low, I suggest adding in more vegetable broth.