Easy Hamburger Soup
This hamburger soup recipe is a simple and hearty meal made with ground beef, potatoes, and a delicious tomato broth. It's a budget friendly complete meal that makes excellent leftovers!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound extra lean (95% lean) ground beef
- 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 large Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
Add the olive oil, onion, and celery to a large soup pot. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
Stir in the garlic, followed by the beef. Cook until the beef has browned, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes). You shouldn't need to drain much fat if you're using extra lean ground beef, but feel free to drain some/most of it if desired.
Stir in the tomato paste, then add in the diced tomatoes, beef broth, potatoes, and Italian seasoning.
Increase the heat and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat a bit so it's gently boiling. Cook for 20-25 minutes. You can cook it a little bit longer to intensify the flavor if you wish.
Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately.
- Serves 4-6.
- Anything from about 1 to 1.5 pounds ground beef will work.
- Got an electric pressure cooker? Try the Instant Pot version of this recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 854mg | Potassium: 1164mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 4mg