Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
This easy tomato soup recipe is hearty, flavorful, and fast! If you're looking for a delicious tomato soup that's better than the condensed variety but doesn't require a lot of effort, this is your recipe.
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped/torn (optional)
Add the olive oil and butter to a soup pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and sauté it for 5-7 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and flour, and cook it for about a minute.
Stir (or whisk) in the chicken broth until the flour has dissolved.
Add the canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, and cream to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a gentle boil.
Once the soup comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it cook for 8 minutes or so. Season with salt & pepper as needed. If using the fresh basil, add it in a few minutes prior to serving. Serve soup with freshly grated parmesan over top if desired.
- You could use dried basil instead of fresh - I use a few dashes and add it in at the same time as the Italian seasoning.
- If you're not a fan of tomato pieces in the soup, replace the diced tomatoes with another can of crushed tomatoes or use petite diced for smaller pieces.
- If you don't want the cream, you can add a bit less or leave it out, but IMO the soup won't be as tasty. I don't recommend subbing half-and-half or something with less fat, because the acid from the tomatoes will likely curdle/separate it, and the soup will look a bit grainy.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 683mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1081IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 3mg