Pea Salad with Bacon
This pea salad with bacon recipe has the most delicious chipotle dressing that's a fun twist on this southern American classic!
- 6 strips bacon cut into small pieces
- 2 pounds frozen peas thawed
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 tablespoon adobo sauce or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Add your peas to a colander and rinse them under cool water. Let them drain thoroughly.
Meanwhile, fry the bacon. I cut it up using kitchen shears to make this process easy. Once it's done, drain the fat.
Make the dressing by combining the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mixing until it's smooth. I suggest playing with the ingredients to get the exact flavor combo you want (e.g. more adobo sauce or lemon juice etc.).
Add all ingredients to a large salad bowl and toss with the dressing. Season with salt & pepper as needed. I recommend chilling for an hour or so before serving to let the flavors meld a bit.
- The adobo sauce is from canned chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce.
- This dressing isn't too spicy as written, but feel free to add more adobo sauce to kick up the heat.
- I used thick-cut bacon. You may want to go up to 8 strips if you're using regular bacon.