Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
You will love this quick and easy method using your Instant Pot to make the best tender shredded chicken!
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
Season each piece of chicken with salt. Add the chicken broth to your Instant Pot, along with the chicken.
Close the lid, set the valve on "sealing", and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Once the countdown has completed, do a 5 minute natural pressure release, and then release the rest of the pressure by doing a quick release.
Take the chicken out of the Instant Pot and shred it with 2 forks. I like to mix it with a bit of the cooking liquid to help keep it moist. You can either discard the remaining cooking liquid or reserve it to add it to soups etc.
- Cooking time will remain the same if you cook 2, 3, 4, or even 8 chicken breasts. The Instant Pot will take longer to come up to pressure with more chicken that's in there.
- For frozen chicken breasts, cook them on high pressure for 12 minutes and do a natural pressure release. Ensure they're separated for best results (not frozen as one big chunk).
- For chicken thighs, cook them on high pressure for 13 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then do a quick release for the remaining pressure (or just let the pressure naturally release fully).
- Chicken will keep for up to 5 days in a sealed container in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer.
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Inactive time indicates the time it takes the Instant Pot to get up to pressure and release pressure naturally.
Calories: 173.72kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.17g | Protein: 32.15g | Fat: 3.98g | Saturated Fat: 0.87g | Cholesterol: 96.43mg | Sodium: 318.12mg | Potassium: 588.8mg | Vitamin A: 45.2IU | Vitamin C: 4.55mg | Calcium: 9.88mg | Iron: 0.63mg