Santa Fe Chicken Skillet
This Santa Fe Chicken recipe is loaded with black beans, corn, Ro-tel tomatoes, southwest spices, and melty Tex-Mex cheese. It's ready in 30 minutes and great for hungry families!
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) can Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chilies drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup Tex-Mex cheese blend
- Fresh cilantro chopped (optional, to taste)
Preheat the oven to 400F and move the rack to the middle position.
Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have 4 thinner cutlets. Season both sides with the garlic powder, chili powder, and salt & pepper.
Add the oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once it's hot, add the chicken and cook for about 3-4 minutes/side until lightly golden. Take the chicken out of the pan.
Add the onion to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes or until it's softened and lightly browned.
Stir in the Rotel tomatoes, beans, corn, and smoked paprika. Let it heat through for a couple of minutes, and be sure to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add the chicken back in and spoon some of the tomatoes/beans/corn onto the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese over top of everything (I concentrate it on the chicken).
Place the skillet in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (165F) and the cheese is nice and melty. You can broil the cheese for a few minutes at the end if you want it to be browned.
Top with fresh chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
- This is the Le Creuset skillet pictured.
- If your skillet isn't oven-proof, for step 6 you can either transfer the skillet contents to a baking dish or simply keep cooking the chicken in the skillet (cover it with a lid so the cheese melts).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 997mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 503IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 207mg | Iron: 3mg