Cheesy Rotel Sausage Dip
This sausage dip recipe is loaded with flavorful pork sausage, Rotel tomatoes, cream cheese, and a delicious layer of cheddar. Great for game day or as a party appetizer!
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) can Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chilies drained
- 8 ounces cream cheese (I used a block of Philly) softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer to grate my own)
- Chopped scallions optional, to taste
Take the cream cheese out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to starting the recipe, or microwave it for 20-30 seconds so it softens up. Preheat oven to 400F and move the rack to the middle position. Grate the cheddar.
If you're using sausages (vs. ground sausage meat), take the meat out of the casings and add it to an an oven-proof skillet. Cook, over medium-high heat, for 5 minutes, breaking it up with your spoon as you go along.
Add the onion to the pan and continue cooking for another 7-10 minutes or until the sausage is nicely browned and the onions are softened and lightly browned.
If there's a lot of excess fat, spoon most of it out. Stir in the garlic powder and drained Rotel tomatoes.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the cream cheese. It'll take a few minutes to fully incorporate and heat through.
Once the cream cheese has melted in, top the dip with an even layer of the shredded cheddar. Bake for 10 minutes. You can broil it at the end for a few minutes if you wish. Serve warm.
- If you can't find Rotel, I suggest using regular diced tomatoes but also including a 4 ounce can of green chilies - it really makes a difference in the flavor of this recipe. Original Rotel is quite spicy, so use their mild variety if you don't want the heat.
- This is the cast iron skillet I used to make this recipe. I love cast iron because it keeps the dip nice and warm. You could also transfer the dip to a small Crockpot to keep it warm for longer.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 543mg | Potassium: 270mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 606IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 1mg