Creamy Balsamic Spinach Bacon Mushroom Chicken
This bacon mushroom chicken recipe is loaded with tender melt-in-your mouth chicken, a creamy balsamic sauce, and fresh spinach. Ready in about 30 minutes!
- 6 strips bacon cut into small pieces
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
Cut the bacon into small pieces (I do this with kitchen shears). Fry it over medium-high heat in a deep skillet until crispy. Take it out of the pan and set it aside on a plate. Leave about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the pan.
Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have 4 thinner pieces. Sprinkle them with the garlic powder and pepper and coat them in flour on all sides.
Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes/side until golden and take it out of the pan (ok to put it on the same plate as the bacon).
The pan will likely be quite dry, so add a splash of olive oil (about a tablespoon) prior to adding the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until the water has cooked out and they get a nice sear (about 6-8 minutes). You may need to turn down the heat a bit if the pan becomes too hot/smoking.
Take the mushrooms out of the pan (adding them to the same plate as the chicken and bacon is fine).
Stir in the chicken broth and balsamic vinegar, and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let it bubble until the liquid reduces by half (about 2 minutes or so).
Stir in the cream, and then add the chicken, bacon, and mushrooms back to the pan. Cook it for 5 minutes or so until the sauce thickens and the chicken cooks through.
Stir in the spinach (I lift the chicken up with tongs and tuck it underneath to make it easy!) and cook for another minute or two until it's wilted. Serve immediately.
- I don't recommend subbing the heavy cream for half-and-half or milk as the sauce may curdle and it won't be as thick.
- I find the sauce salty enough with the bacon and chicken broth, but feel free to season the chicken with some salt as well if needed.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 530kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 176mg | Sodium: 460mg | Potassium: 861mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2328IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 1mg