Pineapple Chicken (Asian Style)
This pineapple chicken recipe is like making takeout at home with a deliciously sweet and tangy sauce that perfectly coats the tender chicken, onions, red peppers, and pineapple pieces.
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 (8 fluid ounce) cans pineapple tidbits or chunks drained (but reserve 3/4 cup juice for the sauce)
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 medium onion sliced or cut into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Add the sauce ingredients to a small bowl. If you don't have quite enough pineapple juice to make 3/4 cup, just top the rest up with water. Whisk until smooth.
Prep your veggies.
Cut the chicken into 1" pieces and add them to a bowl. Toss them with the garlic powder and some pepper. Add the cornstarch and toss until coated.
Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes. Cook the chicken in two batches (don't crowd the pan). Cook the chicken for 4 minutes and then flip (I use tongs to do this quickly) and cook for another 3-4 minutes or so. Chicken should be browned and cooked through (165F). For the second batch, I add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Transfer each batch of the chicken to a plate when it's done.
If the pan is dry, add a small splash of olive oil (a teaspoon or so), and then add the pineapple. Let it cook without stirring it for about a minute.
Stir in the peppers and onions and cook for another 3 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Veggies will be tender-crisp. You can cook for a little longer if you wish.
Add the chicken back to the pan and then stir in the sauce. Let it bubble until it's thickened (about 1-2 minutes), then take the pan off the heat and serve immediately over rice or noodles.
- I buy the canned pineapple that's unsweetened (packed in its own juice).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 639mg | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 91IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg