Ground Turkey Soup
This ground turkey soup is simple to make, inexpensive, healthy, and comforting. Pasta and beans make this brothy soup extra filling!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sticks celery chopped finely
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can white beans (cannellini) drained
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cups uncooked fusilli pasta
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or more, to taste
- 2 cups (packed) fresh baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
Add the oil, celery, and onion to a soup pot over medium-high heat, and sauté for 4-5 minutes (ok if the onion starts to brown a little).
Stir in the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for 30 seconds.
Add in the ground turkey and cook until it's mostly turned white, breaking it up with your spoon as it cooks (about 4-5 minutes). I prep the other ingredients while I go along, but feel free to prep everything before you begin if that's easier.
Add in the beans, carrots, broth, and water. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar and reduce the heat & simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in the pasta, cover the pot again (lid slightly ajar), and cook for another 10 minutes. I stir it a couple of times just to ensure the pasta isn't sticking to the bottom.
Add in the lemon juice (add more if you like it really lemony) and spinach. Cook it for a couple more minutes until the spinach wilts. Season with salt & pepper as needed. This soup soaks up the broth pretty fast, so feel free to add more chicken broth/water as needed (especially when reheating leftovers).
- Serves 4-6 depending on how much people eat.
- You can use 5 cups chicken broth (vs. 4 cups broth and 1 cup water) if you want. I just do this because the 32 oz/4 cup cartons of broth are handy, and that way you don't need to open a second one if you don't want to.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 652mg | Potassium: 922mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4413IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 4mg