Simple Chicken Vegetable Soup
This chicken vegetable soup recipe is simple, healthy, and an easy way to use up whatever veggies you've got on hand! Make it with already cooked/rotisserie chicken or uncooked chicken.
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled & sliced
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 large potato (I used Russet) peeled & diced
- 1 cup corn (use frozen, canned, or fresh)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans
- 2 cups cooked/rotisserie chicken shredded (see note)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Prep the onion, carrots, and celery. Add them to a soup pot along with the oil.
Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep the remaining ingredients.
Stir in the garlic and Italian seasoning to the pot and cook for 30 seconds.
Add in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, and potato. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, with the lid slightly ajar, for 15 minutes.
Stir in the corn, peas, beans, and chicken. Cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are tender to your liking.
Season the soup with salt & pepper (I am generous with both) and enjoy immediately.
- Serves 4-6 depending on how much people eat/what you serve it with.
- If you prefer it not to have a tomato broth, swap the tomato sauce for another cup of chicken broth. Or, used diced tomatoes if you prefer.
- Note on the chicken - if you want to use uncooked chicken: add whole chicken breasts or thighs at the same time as the potatoes in step 5, then take them out and cut up/shred them when the soup is done. I'd use about a pound of each (about 2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs). Chicken is safe to eat at 165F, cook time may need to be adjusted depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 992mg | Potassium: 1001mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4177IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 3mg