Cream of Broccoli Soup
This cream of broccoli soup recipe is a classic soup that's so much better homemade! It's silky, creamy, and uses no fancy ingredients for a comforting meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (or veg broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 5-6 cups broccoli cut into florets, see note
- 1 Russet potato peeled & diced
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream or to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
Add the oil and butter to a soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and celery for about 7-10 minutes or until it starts to lightly brown.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add in the broth, Italian seasoning, broccoli, and potatoes. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat so it's simmering rapidly, cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes and broccoli are tender. It's ok if the broth isn't completely covering the broccoli.
Blend in the pot using an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a regular blender (you might want to let it cool a bit first).
Stir in the cream and season with salt & pepper as needed (I am quite generous with both).
- Use either fresh or frozen broccoli. If using fresh, one large head weighing around 2 pounds (including stem) will give you 5-6 cups of florets once you cut it up.
- Serves 4-6.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 960mg | Potassium: 911mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1552IU | Vitamin C: 125mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 2mg