This Thanksgiving salad is loaded with fall vegetables and fruit, bacon, and a tasty vinaigrette dressing. It's a delicious and pretty addition to your table!
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for roasting the squash
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 6 strips bacon cut into small pieces
- 2 dozen Brussels sprouts trimmed then chopped finely (shredded)
- 1 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apple chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup feta or goat cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat from frying the bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 400F and move the rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (I use a spoon). Peel the squash (I do this quickly using a sharp knife... I just cut the squash into a few pieces and then cut the skin off carefully). Cut the squash into pieces that are roughly equal-sized (aim for about 1"). Add the squash to a baking sheet and toss with about 1 tbsp olive oil and some salt & pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until it's softened and lightly browned. Flip halfway through for more even color (optional).
Meanwhile, cut the bacon up and add it to a skillet. Fry over medium-high heat until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and leave the fat in the pan (you will use some in the dressing).
Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl or a jar and whisk/shake then set it aside.
Prep the other ingredients and add them to a salad bowl. Once the squash has cooled a bit, you can add that in as well, along with the cooked bacon.
Add the dressing and toss. Season with salt & pepper, and taste and adjust if needed (e.g. add a little more olive oil or vinegar).
- Serves 4-8 depending on how much people eat.
- This salad is very flexible! Feel free to adjust ingredient quantities or sub depending on preferences/ingredient availability.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 277mg | Potassium: 927mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 13921IU | Vitamin C: 94mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 3mg