Easy Pasta Puttanesca
This pasta puttanesca recipe is a simple pantry meal that has bold savory flavors! It's a quick weeknight dinner and uses minimal ingredients for the addictive tomato sauce.
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta I used spaghetti
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 4-5 anchovy fillets cut into small pieces
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can whole tomatoes (with juices) see note
- 2-3 tablespoons capers drained
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted and halved
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley optional, to taste
Boil a salted pot of water for the pasta and cook it al dente according to package directions.
Meanwhile, add the canned tomatoes to a bowl and crush the tomatoes (it's easiest to do this using your hands, but you could also use a fork).
Add the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and anchovies to a skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes (watch the garlic doesn't burn).
Stir in the tomatoes, capers, and olives. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the flavors meld.
Season with salt & pepper as needed. Toss with the drained pasta (add a splash of the hot water water prior to draining if you wish to thin the sauce) and enjoy.
- I recommend San Marzano plum tomatoes for best flavor. You may swap the whole canned tomatoes with crushed tomatoes if you prefer.
- The garlic, anchovy, and olive quantities are quite flexible. If you want bolder flavor, add more of each. Measure with your heart!
- Feel free to add in more chopped fresh herbs such as basil or oregano.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 670mg | Potassium: 547mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 381IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 3mg