Potato Leek Tomato Soup
This 35-minute potato leek tomato soup is an easy to make, healthy, and ultra comforting soup that uses everyday ingredients. The unique flavor is hard to resist!
- 3 leeks see note
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian seasoned stewed tomatoes with juices
- 3 cups chicken broth or veg broth
- 1 pound Yukon Gold (yellow) potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
Discard the top dark green portion of the leeks, retaining the bulbs. Cut the bulbs into rings. Add leeks to a colander and rinse thoroughly (dirt tends to hide).
Melt the butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add leeks to the pot and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir the garlic in and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, and potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil and then cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar, reducing heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are soft, approx. 15-20 minutes depending on their size.
Test if the potatoes are cooked. If they are, use an immersion blender (or a regular blender) to puree the soup. You may want to let the soup cool for a bit if you're clumsy like me and afraid of accidentally burning yourself. Once the soup is smooth, add the cream. Season with salt & pepper as needed (I am fairly generous). Serve immediately.
- I don't worry too much about the size of the leeks. If they're not equal size, that's fine. Try to aim for ones that are more medium-sized vs. ones that look very large or very small.
- If you can't find Italian seasoned stewed tomatoes, add a few dashes of Italian seasoning to the soup. If you can't find stewed tomatoes, try diced ones.
- If you want a very thick soup, add another potato. If the soup gets too thick (e.g. reheating leftovers), add a splash more broth.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 777mg | Potassium: 781mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1378IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 4mg