Vegan Sugar Cookies
These vegan sugar cookies are super soft, easy, and require no chilling! A delicious dairy-free sugar cookie recipe.
Servings 20 cookies (approx.)
- 1 cup vegan butter slightly softened (see note)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons sprinkles (optional)
Prepare your flax egg by mixing the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Set it aside, and prep the rest of your ingredients so it has the chance to sit for 10 minutes or so.
Preheat oven to 400F and move the rack to the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat non-stick mat or parchment paper.
Cream the vegan butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer on a low speed.
Add the flax egg and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix on low.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture, mixing it on a low speed until all the flour is incorporated.
Fold in the sprinkles.
Gently roll the dough into 1.5" balls. Place the balls at least a couple of inches apart (cookies will spread) on the baking sheet. I bake two batches (one batch at a time with about 10 cookies/batch). Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and then transfer them to an airtight container as soon as they've cooled a bit so they remain nice and soft.
- I use vegan buttery sticks (2 of them to make 1 cup). I like to let the vegan butter sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes prior to making this recipe. You don't want it to sit too long - it softens much faster than normal butter.
- Makes 20-25 cookies (approximately).
- I used ground brown flaxseed, but you could also use the golden variety. I also sometimes see it labeled as "milled flaxseed" and "flaxseed meal".
- Make sure you spoon and level the flour vs. scooping it so you don't end up with too much.
- Not all brands of sprinkles are vegan-friendly, so be sure to check if that's a concern.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 164kcal