Crockpot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
This Crockpot lemon chicken orzo soup recipe is healthy, super easy, and family-friendly. Come home to a steaming bowl of deliciousness!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large carrots peeled & sliced
- 2 sticks celery chopped fine
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- Handful fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- Salt & pepper to taste
Prep your celery and carrot. Trim any fat off the chicken.
Add all ingredients except for the salt & pepper, lemon juice, parsley, and orzo. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
About 30 minutes prior to serving, remove the bay leaves, shred the chicken with 2 forks, and add the lemon juice, parsley, orzo, and salt & pepper. I recommend stirring every 10 minutes or so because the orzo may stick to the bottom of the slow cooker otherwise. Serve immediately.
- You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat (I'd use 6 of them in this recipe and keep the cooking time the same). If you're cooking this for the full 8 hours the chicken breasts may dry out a bit - you may want to considering using chicken thighs instead.
- If you're cooking it for 6 hours or less, I do suggest ensuring your chicken is properly cooked when you go to shred it.
- Want to make this on the stove? Try my Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.
- This is the 7 quart Crockpot I used to make this recipe.