Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
This Instant Pot potato leek soup recipe is comforting, healthy, and delicious. You will love this flavorful and silky soup!
- 3-4 medium-to-large leeks (use the white parts) sliced
- 4 large Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock (or use veg broth)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh chives chopped (optional, for garnish)
Prep your leeks and peel and chop your potatoes. Discard the top dark green portion of the leeks, retaining the bulbs. Slice the bulbs into rings. Add leeks to a colander and rinse them throughly (use your hands to dislodge any stubborn dirt).
Add the butter to the Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.
Add the garlic to the Instant Pot and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the broth, water, leeks, potatoes, and thyme to the Instant Pot. Give it a stir and then close the lid and set the valve on "sealing". Press the "manual" button and set the timer to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Once the countdown has finished, carefully do a quick pressure release (soup can splatter a bit).
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. You could also blend it in batches using a regular blender (I suggest letting the soup cool a bit first). Season soup with salt & pepper as needed. Garnish with chives if desired.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, swap the chicken broth for veggie broth. To make it vegan, do that and also swap the butter for 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Inactive time represents the time it will take to get your Instant Pot up to pressure.
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Amazon no longer sells the immersion blender I use, but this one has good reviews.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 630mg | Potassium: 1245mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 858IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3mg