This Instant Pot potato leek soup recipe is comforting, healthy, and delicious. You will love this flavorful and silky soup!
This is a good and filling soup! It was one of my favorite things to take for lunch back when I worked in a cold, air-conditioned office. It reheats well and it'll keep you going for a few hours.
Want to make this on the stove? Try my Easy Potato Leek Soup.
How to make Instant Pot potato and leek soup:
- Prep your potatoes and leeks;
- Sauté the onion in butter for 3-4 minutes;
- Add the garlic, followed by the broth, water, leeks, potatoes, and thyme;
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, and then do a quick pressure release;
- Blend the soup until it's smooth (I used an immersion blender);
- Season as needed and enjoy! (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Tips on leek preparation:
- I start by chopping the dark green part of the leeks off and discarding it (the light green and white portions are fine to use), then I slice them up from there (into rings).
- Leeks usually have some stubborn hidden dirt, so I am always extra careful about washing them. Once you've done the step above, you can then add the chopped leeks to a sieve/colander and rinse them (use your hands to dislodge any stuck-on dirt), or you can add them to a bowl of cool water then drain it once they've soaked for a bit.
Recipe notes & tips:
- If you have fresh thyme, feel free to use it instead of the dried stuff. You could throw in a few sprigs whole and then just take them out prior to blending the soup, or take some leaves off the twigs prior to adding them to the Instant Pot.
- You could sub the dried thyme with dried Italian seasoning.
- If, for whatever reason, the soup is too thick, add more broth (e.g. when reheating leftovers).
I love how this soup is naturally creamy. There's no cream or milk in here, so it's lighter on the calories and great if you're lactose sensitive.
This soup freezes well, so it's ideal for making ahead too.
More soup recipes you'll love:
- Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup (with ham OR vegetarian)
- Easy Baked Potato Soup
- Potato, Leek, and Tomato Soup
Will you give this easy electric pressure cooker potato and leek soup recipe a try?
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- 3-4 medium-to-large leeks (use the white parts) sliced
- 4 large Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock (or use veg broth)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh chives chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Prep your leeks and peel and chop your potatoes. Discard the top dark green portion of the leeks, retaining the bulbs. Slice the bulbs into rings. Add leeks to a colander and rinse them throughly (use your hands to dislodge any stubborn dirt).
- Add the butter to the Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the Instant Pot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, water, leeks, potatoes, and thyme to the Instant Pot. Give it a stir and then close the lid and set the valve on "sealing". Set the timer to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, carefully do a quick pressure release (soup can splatter a bit).
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. You could also blend it in batches using a regular blender (I suggest letting the soup cool a bit first). Season soup with salt & pepper as needed. Garnish with chives if desired.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, swap the chicken broth for veggie broth. To make it vegan, do that and also swap the butter for 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Inactive time represents the time it will take to get your Instant Pot up to pressure.
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Amazon no longer sells the immersion blender I use, but this one has good reviews.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Susanne armstrong says
I have a 3 qt instant pot, so how would I change the ingredients? At the moment I have 3 good size leeks, 1 red potato...? Leeks, are 3-4” white to very light green:). And how many potato’s? Etc in using a 3 qt size? Please put amts I should use...thanks. I’ve very very new at this.
Hi Susanne, it's really tough for me to tell, honestly. I'd probably just make sure you don't go over the fill line. Add everything except the broth, then add the broth to the fill line. It may come out quite thick... I'd then transfer it to a pot after blending it up and add more broth if needed to thin the soup.
I added a 1/2 cup of half and half at the end and topped with crumbled bacon and homemade croutons. Delish! My daughter saw leeks at the grocery store and asked if we could make this soup again. You bet, girl! Thanks for the recipe!
Wonderful!! You're welcome! 🙂
Cecilia Gregory says
Super yummy! Made it this morning in between classes and was ready for lunch in 15 minutes! Love instant pot recipes and we added a bit of cream with the chives for garnish!
A delicious, simple recipe. Thank you! I substituted shallots for garlic and onions and added a few drops of hot sauce and a handful of shredded cheddar in each bowl as I served it.
So happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting! XO
Got some leeks in a produce box and found this recipe. It was very good. Also added bacon bits and cheddar cheese as toppings. Will definitely be making this again
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for your comment. 🙂
This soup is so good! I'm making it again today and stocking the freezer with it. My recommendations are adding lots of salt & pepper at the end, and topping with some shredded cheddar and bacon bits! Yummm!
I'm so glad you enjoy the soup, Lisa!! Love the bacon idea... mmmmm!
Yael Rapoport says
This recipe was so easy and came out delicious 😍
Wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to write me a comment, Yael.
I was looking for an instant pot lower calorie vegan leek potato soup that didn’t have any heavy cream or coconut milk. This was so perfect! I actually forgot to add the onion and it was still amazing.
I'm so happy you liked it, Sommer! 😀
We made this using sweet potatoes and it tasted really good, as you say silky and smooth.
Ooh good idea!
Awesome. Addicting. Had it 3 times this week!
Wow!! I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed it! 🙂
I seriously can't get enough of this soup! It's dead simple to make, tastes delicious, and (to my surprise) tastes even BETTER reheated as leftovers after a few days. Perfection!
Aww so happy to hear, it Kat!! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
Natasha's Sister says
You know potato leek soup is my favourite. Bring me some now.