This Instant Pot sweet potato soup recipe is easy to make, healthy, vegan, naturally creamy, and deliciously sweet. The perfect warming soup for winter or fall.
Yes, it's March, and this soup has some pretty classic fall flavors, but I had some leftover sweet potatoes and fancied making a simple sweet potato soup in my Instant Pot. It's still winter here, so this soup didn't seem too out of the ordinary for me.
I also like to break rules (especially when it comes to food), so here we go. And this recipe will still be here next fall, so bookmark it if you think it's weird to eat it now. 😉
You may also like my healthy Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes.
How do you make sweet potato soup in an Instant Pot?
Sauté your onion in your Instant Pot, then add the sweet potatoes, liquids, garlic, and spices. Set the valve on "sealing" and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Carefully do a manual pressure release, blend the soup in batches (or use a stick blender), stir in some cream (if desired) and salt & pepper, and enjoy!
You can, of course, make this soup on your stove as well. I included some notes in the recipe card below.
What spices go well with sweet potato soup?
Sweet potato soup lends itself to many different spice combinations/flavor profiles. This particular soup plays on the classic fall/winter flavor of cinnamon. A bit of smoked paprika gives this soup a subtle smoky touch that works great with the cinnamon.
I also have a spicy chipotle sweet potato soup if you want something with a bit of heat.
Other Instant Pot soup recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup (Thick & Creamy)
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup (with ham OR vegetarian)
- Easy Instant Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe
Hope you love this easy pressure cooker sweet potato soup!
Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled & cut into rough 2" pieces
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular is ok too)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heavy cream or coconut milk to taste (optional)
- Prep your onion and sweet potato.
- Add the olive oil and onion to your Instant Pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, water, garlic, smoked paprika, and cinnamon to the pressure cooker. Make sure the valve is on "sealing" and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. It'll take about 10-15 minutes for it to get up to pressure.
- Once the countdown is finished, do a quick release (carefully - soups can splatter a bit).
- Blend the soup in batches (you may want to let it cool a bit first) or use a stick blender. Season with salt & pepper as needed (I found that I needed to be pretty generous with the salt). Add cream if desired (I skipped it). I'd start with 1/2 cup and work my way up from there.
- This is the 6-quart Instant Pot I used to make this recipe.
- If you don't own a pressure cooker, you can also make this on the stove. In a large pot, sauté the onion as directed and then add the ingredients as indicated. Cook until the sweet potato pieces are very tender and follow the recipe as written. Or try my similar Creamy Sweet Potato Soup.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.