This spicy chipotle sweet potato soup is a healthy and flavorful vegan soup with a nice kick of heat! It's wonderfully silky and will really warm you up this fall.
How did this spicy sweet potato soup recipe come about? Well... I had two sweet potatoes that desperately needed to be used up. I didn't get to them on the weekend (when I do most of my blog cooking).
It was the middle of the week, I didn't feel like going to the store, and I was walking home from work trying to visualize what I had in my pantry.
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention, so this soup was born from what I had in stock.
Exciting story, right?! I am an exciting person. I almost fell asleep reading that too.
Anyway, this healthy sweet potato soup recipe really is moderately spicy, so consider this a warning. I suggest just using the adobo sauce vs. adobo sauce + a whole chipotle chili pepper if you need the soup to be a bit milder. Let's just say I couldn't have a whole bowl of this myself (shakes head pathetically), but I snuck a few spoonfuls and really liked the taste in between flaming mouthfuls.
I also realized that the size of the chipotle peppers vary depending on the brand you buy. The one I had in my pantry contained fairly large peppers, so keep that in mind.
Oh and just a note on the photos. I feel compelled to mention this in case you make the soup and wonder why the heck it's not bright orange. I think I usually post photos that are pretty true-to-life, but for some reason the soup looks more orange than it really is. It's more red in real life.
I had to find a balance between brightening the photos and sacrificing the red color. I garnished the soup with parsley and some dried edible flowers. Totally optional of course. 😛 I think a dollop of Greek yogurt would work great as a real-life garnish and also help cut some of the heat.
If you like sweet-spicy combinations, I think you will enjoy this easy sweet potato soup recipe!
You may also like...
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup
- Rosemary & Sage Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
Questions? Ask in the comments below!
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 chipotle chili pepper + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your sweet potatoes and onion.
- Add the oil to a pot on medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 5-7 minutes or until it's lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, chipotle chili pepper + adobo sauce, tomato paste, and sweet potatoes. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover with the lid slightly ajar for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
- Blend the soup in batches until smooth (I recommend letting the soup cool for 10-15 minutes first to do this more safely). Season with salt & pepper and serve immediately. Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- This soup is moderately spicy as written. If you want a milder version, I suggest using just the adobo sauce. The chipotle chili pepper I put in here was fairly large... the size of the peppers in those little cans can vary.
- Serves 4+
Aviva Goldfarb says
Excellent, healthy and filling!
Thank you so much!
Really really tasty! Only change I made was to sub in chicken broth since I was out of vegetable broth. And it did turn out quite spicy so I drizzled a little half & half in my bowl to cut the heat. Looking forward to making this again!
So glad you enjoyed it, Victoria!
Aviva Goldfarb says
Loved it! The combination of sweet potatoes and chipotle is intoxicating.
So pleased you enjoyed the flavors!
This is my second attempt my first batch since I couldn’t find a chipotle pepper just used a mild adobo sauce, barely had a kick even adding an extra tablespoon of adobo at the end. This batch I found adobo sauce that had chipotle peppers in the sauce which added a nice kick without the major burn, will be interesting 🤔 to see how 🥵 it becomes after freezing.
Let me know!
This soup is delicious. Yum yum yummy!!! The kick of the chipotle pepper is awesome. Never can have too much heat. Thanks. I, like you, had extra sweet potatoes to use up. I think I’ll try this same recipe with cauliflower and white potatoes some time.
I am so happy you liked it!! 🙂
Natasha, your toppings look beautiful. I see lavender and I think basil? And marigolds?
Thanks so much! It's an edible flower mix 🙂 I'm currently on vacation so I can't check in my pantry to see exactly what it is. If you reply to the comment again let me know and I will check for you when I get home.
miq shaw says
Do you have an immersion blender? They are pretty inexpensive and fantastic for soups like this...no messy transition into and out of blender, they're amazing!
I do, actually. I occasionally use mine, but I find that I get better/more even results with a normal blender. I tend to lose patience with the stick blender and then miss pieces lol. Definitely fewer dishes when you use the stick blender, though. Thanks for the suggestion! 💛
This soup looks like perfection! The slight kick from the chipotle and the sweetness of the sweet potatoes sounds like the perfect combo! This is going on next weeks meal plan!
Thanks, Laurel! I really hope you enjoy the soup! 🙂
Alia @ Everyday Easy Eats says
Well this just looks fantastic! Love your photography/lighting/food styling! Great work Natasha!! 🙂 Pinning this to my Vegan Recipes Board right now!
Thanks so much, Alia!!
Natasha's Sister says
Something you actually made for me for once!!! Make it again for me.