This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This sausage and sweet potato soup recipe is hearty, warming, and simple to make! Flavorful sausage and melt-in-your-mouth sweet potatoes will be a hit with the whole family.
This soup is really easy to throw together – the perfect thing to make as the busy holiday season approaches. It makes yummy leftovers, and it’s the kind of soup that works great as the type of thing you’d take to work for lunch. It’s very satisfying.
It’s straightforward to make, and really the only somewhat time-consuming part is peeling and chopping those sweet potatoes. Once that’s done, though, you just simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes, and then dinner’s ready. 🙂
You may also like my classic Creamy Sweet Potato Soup.
Recipe notes & tips:
- The quantity of sausage or sweet potatoes listed doesn’t have to be exactly adhered to – anything in the general ballpark works.
- I made this an Italian sausage and sweet potato soup, but you could sub for another kind of sausage. Even something like turkey sausage or kielbasa (Polish smoked sausage) would work.
- Want to add some spice to this soup? Use hot Italian sausage and/or add some red pepper flakes to spice it up.
- This soup is very forgiving – you can definitely add more veggies or swap out ones you don’t like. I love the combo of sausage and bell peppers, though, so I’d definitely keep those in. Adding a bit of spinach or kale towards the end would be delicious too.
- This soup eats like a meal, but you could definitely kick it up a notch by serving it with some garlic bread or a nice crusty sourdough!
More soup recipes you may like:
- Zuppa Toscana (Sausage, Bacon, Potato, and Kale Soup)
- Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- Crockpot Italian Sausage Soup
- Sausage, Kale, and Gnocchi Soup
- Simple Bratwurst Soup
Hope you enjoy this sweet potato sausage soup!
Questions? Leave me a comment below.
Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup
- 16 ounces Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes peeled & diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, cook the sausage meat over medium-high heat, breaking it up with your spoon as you go along, for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, water, red bell pepper, celery, and sweet potatoes. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil.
- Once it's boiling, reduce the heat so it's simmering, and cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes have softened.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately.
- Anything in the 16 oz/1 pound ballpark will work for the sausage. Here in Canada, I buy a 5-pack of Johnsonville's mild Italian sausages that's 500g/17.6 oz and take the meat out of the casings.
- I used 3 smallish sweet potatoes. Since sweet potato sizes vary so much and are so subjective, it's easiest to just use the scales at the grocery store and weigh them.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.