This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This sausage and vegetable soup recipe is hearty and delicious. Italian sausage, potatoes, and a flavorful broth make a tasty and filling meal.
I’ve made this soup twice so far, and it makes excellent leftovers. It’s one of those soups that tastes even better a day or two later. It’s one of my favorite lunches to take to work these days.
This Italian sausage and vegetable soup is very easy to make and actually fairly healthy due to all the veggies. The hardest part is chopping everything up, but I like to chop as I go along to save some time.
Can I substitute Italian sausage for another kind?
Absolutely! You could even use chicken sausage. I used a 5-pack of Johnsonville’s mild Italian sausages. Feel free to use hot or whatever kind you like best.
Pro tip: I spoon out some of the fat (about half) after I cook the sausage meat, but I do like to leave some in – it helps cooks the onions and celery and also adds more flavor to the soup. If your sausage isn’t very fatty, don’t bother draining it at all.
Can I add other vegetables to this soup?
Yes! This is one of those soups where you could definitely clean out the fridge. Feel free to substitute any veggies you don’t like in this soup. I loved adding the red peppers because sausage and peppers go so well together!
Will you give this sausage and vegetable soup a try?
Questions? Let me know in the comments!
Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- 17.6 ounces Italian sausages cut up/crumbled
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium carrots sliced/chopped
- 2 large Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup corn (I used frozen)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Take the sausage meat out of the casings and crumble it into a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain a bit of the fat, leaving some in for flavor. I prep as I go along, so I chop the onion and get the other ingredients started as the sausage cooks.
- Add the onion, celery, and garlic to the pot. Continue cooking it for another 5 minutes. Meanwhile, chop any remaining ingredients.
- Add in the chicken broth, water, carrots, potatoes, red pepper, and corn. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed.
- I prep as I go along, so if you don't do that, prep time will take a bit longer.
- I used a 5-pack of Johnsonville mild Italian sausages. You can use ground sausage meat if you prefer.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.