This Italian sausage and tortellini soup recipe is creamy, comforting, and easy to make with very little prep time.
This recipe was originally published on November 28, 2017. March 2019 update: I re-worked this recipe a bit to make it simpler and even tastier!
This cheese tortellini soup with sausage is the perfect comfort food. Italian sausage and tortellini are a great combination, and the creamy tomato broth is absolutely delicious. This is one of those recipes that will warm you up from the inside out. It's not quite spring here yet, so I definitely don't mind making more soup!
One of the best things about this creamy sausage tortellini soup is that you don't have to spend much time chopping stuff.
Chop the onion, crumble the sausage (or use sausage meat), and that's pretty much it. I find chopping relaxing, but not when I come home from work and I'm starving.
Cooking this creamy tortellini soup is very simple... sauté the sausage, drain the grease, cook the onions, then add the rest of the ingredients in at various intervals. All in all it takes about 30 minutes or so.
I'll say that the leftovers for this soup are decent. The tortellini does go a bit mushy the longer it sits in the soup in the fridge. I found the next day to be fine, but 2-3 days after was pushing it a bit.
I added a bit of shaved Parmesan cheese for the photos, but that's totally optional.
Other soup recipes you may like:
- Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup with Chicken
- Vegetarian Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Tomato Gnocchi Soup
- Crockpot Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
I hope you try this tortellini sausage soup recipe!
Questions? Ask me in the comments below!
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 (17.6 ounce) package Italian sausages crumbled into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 2 generous cups refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Take the sausage meat out of its casings and add it to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, or until the sausage is browned all over.
- Take the sausage out of the pot and set it aside on a plate. Drain most of the fat from the pot (leave about a tablespoon or so in to cook the onion).
- Cook the onion for 4 minutes or so, then add the flour to the pot and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth slowly and stir until the flour has completely dissolved.
- Add the canned tomatoes, garlic, and Italian seasoning to the pot. Also add the sausage back in. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a gentle boil.
- Once it's boiling, add the tortellini and reduce the heat so it's gently simmering. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Anything around the 17.6oz/500g mark for sausages will work fine; it doesn't have to be exact. I used a 5-pack of Johnsonville Italian sausages.
- Optional idea: adding a handful or two of fresh baby spinach during the last 5 minutes of cooking would be delicious and add some greens if you're missing them.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.