This easy arugula salad is light, tasty, and comes together in about 10 minutes. It's the perfect side salad for virtually any main course!
Arugula parmesan salad is one of those salads that you've probably had before. Maybe in a restaurant. Maybe when you were a guest at someone's house. It's pretty popular, and it's easy to put your own little twist on the recipe.
Years ago I made a Baby Arugula, Fennel, and Manchego Cheese Salad. If you like this salad, there's a good chance you'll like that one too!
How to make arugula salad (overview):
Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl (olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, and lemon juice). Grate the parmesan cheese (or use a potato/veg peeler to shave it). Add the arugula to a salad bowl. Just before serving, add the parmesan and pour the dressing over the arugula and toss. Season with salt & pepper. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- The dressing is very light, but it's easy to add more olive oil or lemon juice if you want to. It's a flexible recipe, and pretty soon you'll be making it like I do without measuring.
- If you don't have any Dijon mustard on hand, you could leave it out, but it does make the dressing more tasty.
- The honey helps balance the acidity of the lemon juice and peppery flavor of the arugula. You can leave it out if needed, but I think it's an important ingredient (or add a pinch of sugar instead).
- I'm mentioning this more than once because it's important: grate your own parmesan cheese. The pre-grated stuff just doesn't compare. And please don't use the stuff in the can. 😉
- I used my Microplane to grate the parmesan cheese.
- Double every ingredient to double the recipe if you're feeding a larger group (this salad will feed up to 4 as a side).
- I don't recommend making this salad ahead of time or storing leftovers. It wilts quite quickly.
More tasty salad recipes to try:
- Easy Broccoli Salad
- Mediterranean White Bean Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
Questions about this easy arugula salad recipe? Let me know in the comments below! How do you typically make yours?
Parmesan Arugula Salad
- 1 (5 ounce) package arugula
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or more, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- I strongly recommend buying a wedge of parmesan cheese for the best flavor vs. buying the pre-grated kind. Either grate it (I use my Microplane to make it light and fluffy) or use a potato/vegetable peeler to shave it.
- Add the dressing ingredients (oil, lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard) to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Add the arugula to a salad bowl and toss with the dressing and parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust if needed (e.g. add a splash more oil or lemon juice) and season with salt & pepper. This salad wilts quickly, so enjoy it right away. Grate/shave more parmesan on top if you wish.
- Double all ingredients if you need a larger salad. This one serves up to 4 as a side (it's quite light).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.