This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This creamy spinach tortellini soup recipe is easy to make, comforting, and delicious. Chicken, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, and a splash of cream make this one tasty soup.
Tortellini in soup is the best.
This creamy chicken spinach tortellini soup is definitely comfort food, but it’s not over-the-top unhealthy or anything. Yes, it has cheese tortellini and cream, but it’s divided amongst 6 portions, so you’re good.
It also has some veggies, so let’s call this a nicely balanced meal. 😉
How to make spinach tortellini soup
- Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery;
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a few more minutes;
- Add the flour and cook it for about a minute;
- Add the water, broth, cooked chicken, and seasoning and bring to a boil;
- Add the tortellini and cook for 5 minutes;
- Add the cream and spinach.
Pro tip: I’d say you can leave out the cream or halve the amount if you’re very calorie conscious, but I like the richness it adds.
I can see this soup taking us right through the cooler months. It’s a great soup to make on busy weeknights, and it’s also a handy way to use up leftover chicken.
More chicken soup recipes you’ll love:
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Crockpot Tortellini Soup with Sausage
Will you make this creamy chicken spinach tortellini soup?
Questions? Ask me in the comments below!
Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled & chopped or sliced thin
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cooked chicken (leftover or rotisserie)
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (packed)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your onions, carrots, & celery, then add them along with the oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Cover with the lid slightly ajar, and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pot. Cook for a few more minutes, with the lid off, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and give it a good stir. Let it cook for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, water, chicken, and Italian seasoning.
- Increase the heat to high, and once the soup's boiling, add the tortellini.
- Reduce the heat to medium or even lower (we want a gentle boil) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and spinach and let the soup heat through. Season with salt & pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
- I suggest chopping the onions/carrots/celery pretty finely to ensure they're fully cooked since this soup doesn't cook for too long. I sliced my carrots quite thin since I didn't want to chop them.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.