This vegetable soup with cabbage is healthy and delicious. It uses simple ingredients and is easy to make and nourishing!
Cabbage soup doesn't have to be boring or remind you of being on a strict diet. This one happens to be vegetarian (and vegan, actually), but it has plenty of flavor and makes a light but filling meal even though it is quite low in calories.
This soup is great when you're looking for a tasty meatless meal. Enjoy a bowl with a thick slice of fresh bread and who wouldn't be a happy camper?
How to make vegetable soup with cabbage (overview):
Sauté the onions, celery, and cabbage in a soup pot for 7-10 minutes (let it start to lightly brown), then stir in the garlic. Add in the tomato sauce, veggie broth, carrots, potatoes, corn, zucchini, and Italian seasoning. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes and vegetables are tender. Stir in the spinach, season it, and dish it up! (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- This soup is very flexible! Feel free to add what you've got in the fridge/need to use up/what's in season. You could add in some canned beans if you want more protein in here (try cannellini beans or chickpeas).
- For my UK/Australian readers, tomato sauce is similar to passata (or use canned crushed tomatoes).
- You can sub the frozen corn with fresh corn if you happen to have some (or use canned corn).
- Kale would work in place of the spinach, but you will need to add it in a bit sooner since it'll take a little more time to cook/wilt.
- You could add in some cooked shredded chicken towards the end of cooking (just let it warm through) if you would like to add some meat.
You may also like:
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- Crockpot Cabbage Soup
- Minestrone Soup
Questions about this cabbage and vegetable soup recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Vegetable Soup with Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium carrots peeled & sliced
- 1 Russet potato peeled & chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (packed) fresh baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the oil, onion, celery, and cabbage to a soup pot and sauté for 7-10 minutes (stop when it's starting to lightly brown).
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, carrots, potato, corn, zucchini, and Italian seasoning. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with the lid slightly open. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes and veggies are tender.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed and stir in the spinach.
- This soup is very flexible! You can change up the veggies if you wish depending on what you've got in stock/your taste preferences.
- Serves 4-6 depending on portion size.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.