This Instant Pot cabbage soup recipe is packed with hearty beef, a tomato broth, and plenty of veggies. It's very satisfying and full of flavor!
If you like cabbage soup, you may also like my cabbage roll soup, kielbasa soup, or this Crockpot cabbage soup. As someone who has a Czech mom, I grew up eating a lot of cabbage. It's good stuff! This soup isn't super heavy on the cabbage, so if you're a little unsure about it, this is a great way to give it a try.
This Instant pot beef and cabbage soup is healthy, but it's not one of those bland "detox" soups we've all heard about. Frankly, those don't appeal to me at all. Cabbage is tasty. Sure, it's good for you, but I don't use it as any kind of gimmick in my cooking.
How to make cabbage soup in the Instant Pot
- Sauté the onion right in your IP for 3-4 minutes;
- Add in the garlic and ground beef and continue cooking until beef has browned;
- Add the remaining ingredients (tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, broth, seasonings, cabbage, carrots, & potatoes);
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes;
- Do a quick pressure release, season soup with salt & pepper as needed, and enjoy. I serve mine with a bit of fresh parsley.
(Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- You can use rice instead of potatoes, but I will caution you that some newer Instant Pots get burn warnings very easily (my IP has never given me one), so proceed with caution if yours tends to be finicky. I'd use a half cup of white rice (such as jasmine), rinse it, and then stir it in right before closing the lid.
- The carrots and potatoes do get quite tender, so if you want them to be a little bit firmer, I suggest chopping them a bit larger.
- I would use a 6-quart Instant Pot or larger for this recipe.
Other Instant Pot soup recipes you'll love:
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe
Questions about this recipe? Did you make it? Let me know in the comments below!
If you make any of my recipes, don't forget to tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram.
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 2 cups green cabbage chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled & sliced
- 2 large Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the oil and onion to your Instant Pot and press the "sauté" button. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ground beef. Continue sautéing, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned (about 5 minutes). If there's a lot of excess fat, spoon it out (I didn't find it necessary).
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for salt & pepper) to your Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, make sure the valve is on "sealing", press the "manual" button and set the timer to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. The IP will be quite full, so it'll take about 15 minutes for it to get up to pressure.
- Once the countdown has finished, carefully do a quick pressure release.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve.
- The soup gets quite close to the max fill line in my 6-quart Instant Pot, so be mindful not to stray too far from listed ingredient quantities (but a little over a pound of ground beef should be fine - you don't need to be exact).
- Inactive time indicates the time it takes the IP to get up to pressure and release pressure.
- Stovetop: Follow steps 1-3 using a regular pot. Bring soup to a boil then simmer with lid slightly ajar for 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.