This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is easy to make, healthy, flavorful, and comforting. Like a hug in a bowl. Instant Pot to the rescue!
This is just the kind of soup that's needed as the temperatures drop! The classic "cure" for the common cold/flu can easily be made in your Instant Pot. I tried to keep this recipe super easy. Common pantry ingredients are used, and the Instant Pot does most of the heavy lifting for you. Your family will thank you for making them this soup even if they don't use those exact words. 😉
How to make chicken noodle soup in the Instant Pot
- Sauté the onion in your Instant Pot;
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic, chicken broth, water, chicken, and Italian seasoning to the Instant Pot;
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release; (this helps ensure the chicken stays tender)
- Quick release the remaining pressure;
- Shred the chicken, add in the egg noodles, and cook them until soft (about 7-8 minutes).
- Season soup to taste and add fresh parsley.
(full ingredients and instructions on how to pressure cook chicken noodle soup can be found in the recipe card below)
If you prefer, you can make my Crockpot chicken noodle soup recipe.
What cut of chicken to use?
I suggest using chicken thighs because they're more forgiving. They don't dry out as fast, and they're more flavorful. You can use bone-in too (it'll add more flavor), but I prefer boneless/skinless for convenience. I find that when you use skin-on chicken, the broth ends up a bit too greasy. If you want to make this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with chicken breasts, I suggest decreasing the cook time to 8 minutes.
Can I freeze chicken noodle soup?
If you're planning on freezing the soup, I suggest doing so prior to adding the noodles. Once you thaw it, add the noodles to the soup and cook until they're soft.
Can I use frozen chicken?
Yes, but the veggies may end up being more mushy than you want due to the longer cooking time. I'd do 12 minutes on high pressure for frozen chicken thighs or breasts. If you're ever in doubt about whether they're cooked properly, use a meat thermometer to ensure they're 165F in the middle. I recommend using thawed chicken for this recipe.
Some recipe notes:
- I used egg noodles for this soup, but if you want to use a different type of pasta, feel free. It may take a little longer for the noodles to cook. I found that two cups of egg noodles was enough, but if you want to add a bit more, go ahead.
- If you're sensitive to salt, use low sodium chicken broth.
- You may need to add more chicken broth if you're reheating the soup after a day or two because the noodles will soak it up. This soup is best eaten fresh or within a day or so because the noodles do tend to go soggy.
Other chicken soup recipes you may like:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Soup
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
Will you make this chicken noodle soup in your Instant Pot?
Questions? Ask me below!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled & sliced
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs boneless/skinless
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Add the butter and oil to your Instant Pot. Press the sauté button and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to your Instant Pot except for the noodles, salt & pepper, and parsley.
- Close the lid and set the valve to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes (press the "manual" button and set the timer for 10 minutes). It'll take about 15 minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Take the chicken out and shred it with 2 forks. Meanwhile, press the sauté button again and add the noodles to the Instant Pot. Let them cook until softened, and add the chicken back in once it's shredded.
- Season the soup with salt & pepper as needed (I added a fair bit of salt). Serve with fresh parsley sprinkled over top.
- Anything over about a pound of chicken will work - you don't have to be exact.
- If you want to use boneless/skinless chicken breasts, I suggest reducing the cook time to 8 minutes.
- This is the 6-qt. Instant Pot I used to make this recipe.
- Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice at the end if you'd like this to be a lemon chicken soup.
- You may need to add more chicken broth when reheating the soup (the noodles soak up more liquid the longer you leave it). If you plan on freezing the soup, I suggest doing it prior to adding the noodles.
- Stove top: Follow the recipe as indicated (but using a large soup pot). Once you've added everything to the pot except for the noodles, salt & pepper and parsley, bring the soup to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer, covered (with lid slightly ajar), until chicken shreds easily and veggies are soft (at least 15 minutes). Stir in noodles and cook another 10 minutes or so.
- Here's the Crockpot version of the recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.