This Instant Pot chicken tortellini soup recipe is healthy, easy to make, and uses simple ingredients. It’s like a hug in a bowl.
Tortellini is just so comforting. This soup has a light broth (if you don’t add the optional cream), so it’s actually a fairly healthy recipe. It has carbs and protein and makes a nice and filling meal. I have a number of tortellini soup recipes on here, and I figured it was high time to make an Instant Pot version of this classic. Some people love their Instant Pots, and I am no exception. 😉
If you love tortellini, you may also like my stove top chicken tortellini soup recipe, this creamy spinach and chicken tortellini soup, my Italian sausage tortellini soup, or this tomato tortellini soup.
So… I was going to add spinach to this soup. I even delayed making this for a day and went to the store specially to buy spinach especially for this soup. A few days later (after I did all the photos), I found the untouched box of spinach in my fridge. Sigh. Scatterbrained! That spinach will be used in a different recipe now. 😛 If you do want to add spinach, I’d add 2 cups to start with (add it at the same time as the tortellini).
I tested this recipe with boneless/skinless chicken breasts, but feel free to use chicken thighs. I find the latter typically turn out way more tender, but I know some people prefer the white meat. I liked the ratio of chicken to tortellini, but if for whatever reason you need to add more of either ingredient than suggested, that’s fine. Cooking time will stay the same.
How to make chicken tortellini soup in the Instant Pot
- Prep your ingredients.
- Sauté the onion and celery.
- Add everything except for the tortellini to the electric pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- After the countdown has finished, do a 5 minute natural pressure release and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Cut up/shred the chicken, add the tortellini and cream (if using), and let it heat through.
Pro tip: Feel free to use ravioli instead of tortellini!
More Instant Pot chicken recipes:
- Instant Pot shredded chicken
- Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup
- Instant Pot chicken and rice
- Instant Pot chicken tacos
- Instant Pot buffalo chicken
I hope you will give this Instant Pot chicken tortellini soup a try!
Questions? Leave me a comment below.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
This Instant Pot chicken tortellini soup recipe is healthy, easy to make, and uses simple ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled & sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 dashes Italian seasoning
- 3 large chicken breasts (or use 6 thighs)
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 generous cups cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional) or to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
Prep your ingredients.
Add the olive oil, onion, and celery to your Instant Pot. Press the sauté button and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in the carrots, garlic, Italian seasoning, chicken, chicken broth, and water. Close the lid and ensure the valve is on "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Once the countdown has completed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then carefully quick release the remaining pressure. Take the lid off the pressure cooker.
Press the "sauté" button. Take the chicken out of the Instant Pot and add the tortellini in (also add the cream if using). Shred or cut up the chicken while the tortellini cooks (this should only take about 5 mins or so). Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot and then season the soup with salt & pepper as needed. I added some fresh parsley too (optional).
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Inactive time indicates the time it takes the Instant Pot to get up to pressure/release pressure.