This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe tastes like it’s been cooked low and slow, but it’s fast and requires minimal effort!
Try my stove top chicken tortilla soup recipe if you prefer.
I think you’ll really like this Tex-Mex chicken soup. It’s got a delicious fire-roasted tomato broth, corn, beans, spices, and tender shredded chicken. It’s not too spicy, but it’s packed with flavor. It’s actually pretty healthy too.
The toppings are always my favorite part, though. 😉
How to make chicken tortilla soup in an Instant Pot
Sauté your onion right in your Instant Pot, add your chicken breasts and the rest of the ingredients, seal it up, and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Shred the chicken with two forks then add it back into the pressure cooker. Serve and garnish bowls as desired. Simple as that!
This tasty soup can be topped with a variety of things:
- Chopped avocado
- Mexican shredded cheese blend (mine had cheddar, queso quesadilla, and Monterey Jack)
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
This Instant Pot tortilla soup is so good that the leftovers went really fast too. They’re even better for lunch the next day!
If you prefer chicken thighs, you can definitely make the swap. In fact, they’ll be even more juicy than chicken breasts.
Will you try making this electric pressure cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe? Hope you give it a try! Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
More Instant Pot chicken recipes you may want to try:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken (Chicken Breasts and Thighs)
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (15 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 (13.5 fluid ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
Toppings (optional, to taste):
- Chopped avocado, Mexican shredded cheese blend, cilantro, tortilla chips/strips, lime wedges, sour cream
- Sauté the onion in your Instant Pot for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the other soup ingredients, except for salt & pepper, to your pressure cooker and give it a stir.
- Cancel sauté, close the lid, and ensure the valve is on the "sealing" position. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. It'll take about 10-15 minutes for it to get up to pressure.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, and then do a quick pressure release.
- Take the chicken out and shred it with two forks. Add it back into the soup, dish it up, and top each bowl as desired.
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Here is the stovetop version.
- You can use chicken thighs if you prefer (use about a pound or so).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.