This chicken tortilla soup recipe is incredibly flavorful, comforting, and easy! Load it up with your favorite toppings to make it a meal.
I based this recipe on my popular Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup. It has so many positive comments that it was about time I made it approachable for those who don't own an IP. I'm excited to finally get this on here! This is the best chicken tortilla soup.
This soup is great for leftovers... it's one of those soups where the flavors continue to intensify the longer you leave it. And it's actually pretty healthy for comfort food (depending on what you top it with). 😉
Chicken tortilla soup ingredients
- Olive oil
- Chicken (I prefer to use boneless/skinless chicken thighs)
- Spices (ground cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder)
- Canned corn, black beans, green chilies, and fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
How to make chicken tortilla soup
- In a large soup pot, lightly brown the onion (5-7 mins.);
- Stir in the garlic, followed by the remaining ingredients (chicken, spices, corn, beans, chilies, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth);
- Bring soup to a boil then simmer it for 20 minutes;
- Shred the chicken, season soup to taste, and serve with your favorite toppings.
(Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Chicken tortilla soup toppings
- Tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips
- Diced avocado
- Fresh chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheese (try a Tex-Mex blend or cheddar)
- Lime wedges
Recipe notes & tips:
- This soup is flavorful but not particularly spicy. If you want to add some spice, I suggest adding some cayenne pepper (start with 1/2 teaspoon) and/or use spicy green chilies.
- You can use boneless/skinless chicken breasts if you prefer. I recommend keeping an eye on them so they don't overcook, however. Chicken thighs are much more forgiving.
- This soup will keep in the fridge for around 5 days. It also freezes well.
Other delicious soups you may enjoy:
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Creamy Taco Soup
Have questions or did you make and enjoy this recipe? I'd love it if you left me a comment below!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (13.5 fluid ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toppings (optional, to taste): tortilla chips/strips, avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream
- Sauté the onion in a large soup pot until lightly browned (about 5-7 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and increase the heat to high. Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, with the lid slightly ajar, for 20 minutes.
- Take the chicken out and shred it with two forks then add it back into the soup. I recommend adding a good squeeze of fresh lime juice to the soup prior to serving, but that step is optional. Serve and top each bowl as desired.
- You can add even more chicken than I suggest if you wish. You can use chicken breasts if you prefer, but chicken thighs have more flavor and tend not to dry out as fast. Be careful not to overcook chicken breasts.
- This soup freezes well.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.