This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This black bean and corn salad has an incredible homemade tangy lime vinaigrette dressing. It’s delicious yet healthy, and you’ll want to serve it with every summer meal!
I think you’ll also enjoy this Avocado Bacon Salad as a summery treat.
Why you’ll love it
It’s no surprise why the combination of black beans, corn, and avocado is a popular one. Pair it with a lime vinaigrette, and this is what southwestern dreams are made of. This salad recipe works as a lighter meatless main course or as a side dish!
This black bean salad with corn is so simple to make. It’s hearty, bright and zesty, and you can even make it ahead of time for a BBQ or potluck. Whenever I bring it along to a summer gathering, there’s none left by the time I leave.
What you’ll need
For the salad
- Rice – any variety of white rice is good. I like jasmine.
- Avocado – choose one that’s just soft when you squeeze it and if it’s green under the nub for optimal ripeness
- Black beans – grab a can of these inexpensive beans
- Corn – I chose canned, but Grilled Corn absolutely works
- Onion – red onion is a classic for salads since it’s less sharp than other varieties
- Cilantro – for fresh contrast. If you have an aversion, use fresh parsley instead
For the dressing
- Olive oil – use a good quality one as the flavor will shine through
- Lime – we’re using both fresh lime juice and zest for ultimate brightness here. I use my Microplane to zest the lime.
- Honey – a bit of sweetness to counter the acidity. To make this recipe vegan, swap the honey for sugar.
- Chili powder – for more rounded flavor. Most varieties are not spicy!
- Garlic powder – to add a final savory touch
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
- You sure can! The most important part is adding the avocado just prior to serving since it can brown quite soon after you cut it.
- I also recommend storing the dressing separately (try these glass yogurt jars) and adding it when serving so that the rice doesn’t soak it up. It’ll keep in the fridge for a few days that way if you prep the individual components.
How to make black bean salad with corn
This is an overview, and full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the package, and make sure to let it cool.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small bowl, and whisk together until combined.
- Prep all of the salad ingredients and add to a salad bowl. Toss with the dressing. Season with salt & pepper, and chill if desired!
Substitutions and variations
- Like most salads, this one is quite forgiving. Feel free to add in other ingredients. Tomatoes would be delicious! You can also play with the dressing a bit if needed or add more of an ingredient than suggested.
- You can definitely omit the rice if that’s not your thing and then add more of the other ingredients to compensate.
- Try subbing the chili powder for Trader Joe’s Chile Lime seasoning if you happen to have some on hand. It’s one of my favorites.
What to serve with this salad
- It’s a great side dish with summer BBQ favorites such as these Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Skewers or my Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken Thighs.
- I also like it with Tex-Mex dishes like this Easy Taco Casserole Recipe or Creamy Taco Soup.
- If you’re eating it as a main course, simply serve it with a slice of crusty bread or tortilla chips and Guacamole!
Leftovers and storage
- This recipe serves 4 as a main course or up to 6 people as a side. Don’t want leftovers? You could definitely halve the recipe if there’s more than you think you’ll need!
- It’ll keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days, but the avocado will lose its color. If you plan to have leftovers, add the avo in separately.
- If it’s been sitting out for more than 2 hours, I’d discard it.
Questions about this delicious summer salad? Let me know in the comments below! If you made it, please leave a star rating and review.
Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn (or use fresh corn cut off the cob) drained
- 1-2 tablespoons red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice + zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Let it cool.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Prep the remaining recipe ingredients and add them, along with the cooked rice, to a salad bowl. Toss with the dressing. Season generously with salt & pepper. Taste and adjust as needed (e.g. add a little extra lime juice if you think it needs it). Cover and chill for an hour or so, or enjoy it right away.
- Serves up to 4 as a main course or 4-6 as a side dish (depending on what else you serve it with).
- If you want to make this recipe ahead, I suggest adding the avocado right before serving so it doesn’t go bad. It’s also a good idea to add the dressing at that time so the rice doesn’t soak it all up.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.