This taco casserole recipe has flavorful ground beef, salsa, corn, black beans, plenty of cheese, and a layer of Doritos. It’s the perfect easy comfort food for busy families!
This ground beef taco casserole is also great because you can load it up with your favorite toppings. I’m one of those people where toppings make the meal. It’s easy to top the whole thing like I did for the photos, or you can let everyone top their own piece once it’s dished up.
I didn’t really grow up with casseroles, but I can definitely see the appeal. They’re warm, comforting, easy to throw together, and feed a crowd. If you like taco flavors and ground beef, chances are that you will like this taco casserole with Doritos. Or your family will. I can imagine that this one would be popular with the kiddies!
It’s strange… I did not expect my husband to like this, but he LOVED it. He devoured the entire thing and enjoyed the leftovers very much. Just goes to show that even when you think you know a person, they can sometimes surprise you.
This casserole is quite forgiving and easily customizable depending on your preferences. Keep scrolling for some tips and tricks.
How to make taco casserole
- Preheat your oven and prep the ingredients;
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet for 5 minutes, then add in the onion and spices and continue cooking;
- Spread an even layer of crushed Doritos on the bottom of a casserole dish;
- Stir the beans, corn, salsa, and half the cheese into the skillet;
- Spoon the beef mixture evenly over the Doritos;
- Top casserole with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes;
- Meanwhile, prep your toppings;
- Add toppings to casserole (or serve it first and let everyone top their own bowls).
(Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Taco casserole toppings
- Fresh tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Black olives
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Iceberg or romaine lettuce
Recipe notes & tips:
- You don’t have to use Doritos. Other tortilla chips (or Fritos) will definitely work in this taco bake!
- Use a ready-made taco seasoning if you prefer not to use the individual spices.
- You could add more veggies (such as red peppers) to this casserole. I’d add them in at the same time as the onion.
- Feel free to swap the black beans with another kind if you prefer (such as kidney or pinto). Or even add a layer of refried beans instead.
- If you want to add some heat, use a medium or spicy salsa, hot cheese blend, add some cayenne pepper, or you could even add some spicy chopped green chilies.
Other Tex-Mex recipes you may like:
- Skillet Salsa Chicken
- Creamy Taco Soup
- Easy Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Easy Beef Taco Salad
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Will you make this Doritos taco casserole?
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Easy Taco Casserole Recipe
This taco casserole recipe has flavorful ground beef, salsa, corn, black beans, plenty of cheese, and a layer of Doritos. It's the perfect easy comfort food for busy families!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups crushed Doritos I used Nacho Cheese flavor
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) jar salsa use your favorite kind
- 2 cups shredded Tex-Mex cheese blend (or use cheddar)
- Toppings (optional, to taste): tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, avocado, black olives, sour cream, iceberg lettuce, etc.
Preheat oven to 350F and move the rack to the middle position. Prep your ingredients.
Add the oil and ground beef to a skillet. Cook, breaking up the meat as you go along, for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
Stir in the onion, chili powder, garlic powder, and ground cumin, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the crushed Doritos in an even layer to the bottom of a 9x13 (or similar size) casserole dish.
If there's a lot of excess fat in the skillet, spoon most of it out. Stir in the beans, corn, salsa, and half the cheese. Let it warm through (until the cheese melts).
Spoon the beef mixture evenly over the Doritos.
Top the casserole with the remaining cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until it's warm and the cheese is nice and melty.
Meanwhile, prep the toppings. Serve casserole as-is or with your favorite toppings.
- Serves 6+ depending on how much people eat.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.