This Crockpot chipotle chicken soup recipe is simple, healthy, and full of flavor! You can easily kick up the spice in this soup if you like it hot.
I love the chipotle in this soup. That smoky heat is just so delicious. Naturally, I didn't go overboard since I can't handle my spice so well, but you can easily add more if that's your thing. A while back I made a Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup - you may like that too if you enjoy these flavors.
This is actually a pretty good meal prep recipe. Make a big batch for the week!
How to make chipotle chicken soup in the slow cooker
- Chop your onions and celery and mince the garlic.
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker including the whole chicken breasts.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork prior to serving.
This soup can be made with chicken breasts or thighs. I'd add 6-8 chicken breasts to the slow cooker if you want to swap it for the white meat. The darker meat will be more tender, especially if you opt to cook it for the full 8 hours.
You could actually throw in some extra veggies if you have them on-hand and are trying to use them up. You don't need to stick to this recipe too rigidly.
Chipotle chicken soup toppings
- Lime juice
- Tortilla strips/chips
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Fresh avocado
...or skip the toppings altogether.
Pro tip: Don't own a Crockpot? Easily make this chipotle chicken soup on the stove by using the same ingredients and cooked chicken - this will save you a lot of time!
More chicken soup recipes you may like:
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
Will you give this slow cooker chipotle chicken soup recipe a try?
Questions? Let me know in the comments below.
Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Soup
- 4 large chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 sticks celery chopped small
- 1 (15 fluid ounce) can black beans drained
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotle chilis (chopped) + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Lime wedges optional
- Tortilla strips optional, to taste
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt optional, to taste
- Prep everything except for the garnish ingredients and add them to the slow cooker. I like to add the chicken last so I can give the soup a good stir prior to adding it.
- Cook the soup on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours (I cooked it on high for 4 hours).
- Take the chicken out of the Crockpot and shred it using 2 forks. Add it back into the slow cooker. Chop the cilantro and stir it in. Season soup with salt & pepper as needed. Serve immediately. I like to serve with a squeeze of lime juice, but that's optional. Soup freezes well for up to 3 months.
- Serves 6+ depending on how much people eat.
- Soup is slightly spicy; if you're worried about heat, omit the chipotle peppers and just use the adobo sauce. If you want it more spicy, I suggest adding more adobo sauce and chipotle chili peppers.
- Use fire-roasted diced tomatoes for extra flavor.
- This is the 7 quart Crockpot I used to make this recipe.
- Want to make this on the stove? I suggest using pre-cooked chicken (2 cups) and the same ingredient quantities.