This simple chicken fajita soup recipe has all your favorite fajita flavors in a warming and cozy soup! It's healthy and packed with goodness.
You're going to love this Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas next for another family meal with minimal clean-up.
I love how easy this soup is and that it only contains a handful of ingredients. It's also quite versatile. You could add in other ingredients like some frozen or canned corn or even extra veggies in the fridge that need using up. Or, add in some rice (just be sure to stir it often so it doesn't cement to the bottom of the pot!).
I was recently in Arizona and really wanted to order fajitas at this Mexican restaurant that we've been to a number of times. Instead, I discovered their ribeye tacos. Omg. We then went there a second time a couple of days later, and I had the ribeye tacos again. We returned back home and I still craved fajitas. It was cold AF outside, and since I'm in now soup making mode for the foreseeable future, the idea for fajita soup popped in my head.
This soup is definitely one for the bell pepper lovers out there. I used three bell peppers (one red, one yellow, and one green - feel free to use whatever you prefer), and I also added in a small can of diced green chilies (mild ones) for good measure.
I usually make my own taco seasoning for my recipes by throwing together a few different spices, but I decided to use a packet of store-bought fajita seasoning instead of using the individual spices for this soup recipe. It just seemed easier in this case, and the cornstarch in it helps give the soup a slightly thicker texture, which really works. I used Old El Paso brand if you're wondering.
If you're into southwest flavors, I recommend trying my popular Creamy Taco Soup or my Skillet Salsa Chicken.
This is basically a skinny chicken fajita soup. I didn't add any cream cheese or cream in it, and depending how you top it, you can keep it very light.
How to make chicken fajita soup
- Sauté the onion in your soup pot. Meanwhile, prep the other ingredients;
- Add in the peppers and garlic, followed by the tomatoes, broth, beans, green chilies, fajita seasoning, and chicken;
- Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes;
- Take the chicken out and shred/cut it up, then add it back into the soup;
- Serve and garnish bowls with your favorite toppings!
(full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Fajita soup garnish ideas:
- Cheddar or Tex-Mex shredded cheese blend
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Crushed tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- Lime wedges
...or skip the toppings altogether.
A few recipe notes:
- Want to make this recipe spicy? Add in 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- I used boneless/skinless chicken thighs. I find them more flavorful and forgiving (they don't dry out as quickly). You can use chicken breasts if you prefer. I suggest cooking them for less time so they don't dry out (try 10-12 minutes to start with).
Other chicken soup recipes you may like:
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Simple Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Soup
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Let me know if you have any questions about this healthy chicken fajita soup recipe!
Made one of my recipes? Tag me on Instagram #saltandlavender 🙂
Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 bell peppers chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained
- 1 (4 fluid ounce) can diced green chilies with juices
- 1 (1 ounce) packet fajita seasoning (I used Old El Paso)
- 6 chicken thighs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Serve with (optional): chopped cilantro, Tex Mex cheese blend, lime juice, sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, tortilla strips, etc.
- Add the oil and onion to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for about 7 minutes or until it's lightly browned (that adds more flavor to the soup).
- Meanwhile, I like to chop the peppers.
- Add the peppers and garlic to the pot and give it a stir. Cook for about a minute.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, green chilies, fajita seasoning, and chicken thighs. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 15 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the pot and cut it up or shred it with two forks, then add it back into the soup. Season the soup with salt & pepper as needed. Serve soup as-is or add your favorite toppings.
- If you prefer, use boneless/skinless chicken breasts (I'd use 3 or 4 of them and cook them for about 10-12 minutes, cut them up, return them to the soup, and make sure they're fully cooked).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. Note: my nutrition calculator didn't have any info for fajita seasoning, so I used the values for taco seasoning instead.
I made the Chicken Fajata soup. It was delicious. My husband isn't real thrilled with soup for dinner; I could eat soup 5 meals a week. Anyway, made it and we truly enjoyed it. It will stay in my menu retation.
Aww that's awesome!! So happy you both liked it.
Shannon Gough says
Very easy,and turned out great.
Fab! Thank you!
This soup sounds delicious and easy! I am going to make it this week.
Hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Marie Flaherty says
I made this today for lunch and it was wonderful! It is a keeper. Thanks for sharing
Aww I'm so glad to hear that, Marie! 🙂
Pia Nielsen says
Made your Chicken Fajita Soup. It was super tastefull, thank you for a nice recipe.
Wonderful! You're welcome! 🙂