This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This colorful, super flavorful, and easy sheet pan chicken fajitas recipe has minimal prep and satisfies even the pickiest eaters! There’s no messy frying involved.
Why you’ll love it
I’m not sure why, but whenever I hear the word fajitas, I’m always reminded of that scene from Friends where Ross yells out “MY FAJITAS!”. Anyway, these juicy sheet pan fajitas with seasoned chicken, peppers, and onions will turn out much better than those did. 😉
It’s pretty hard to go wrong when making this chicken fajita recipe. Clean-up is hassle free, so it’s the ideal weeknight meal that happens to be a healthy option as well. I can’t get enough of my irresistible homemade fajita seasoning with smoked paprika for a special touch.
What you’ll need
- Chicken – we’re using boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They’re great for baking in the oven like in my Easy Baked Chicken Breast recipe.
- Olive oil – for moisture
- Fajita seasoning – I definitely prefer my homemade blend for a flavor punch. We’ve got chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and salt & pepper. They’re all pantry staples for Mexican food.
- Bell peppers – I chose red and green, but feel free to swap out for other colors. The lighter the color, the sweeter they are.
- Onion – sweet (Vidalia) is my recommendation
- Tortillas – for serving along with your fave toppings
- Depending on the size of the chicken breasts and how hot your oven runs, you may need to increase or decrease cooking time.
- For easy clean-up, I line my baking sheet with foil. I’d use foil rather than parchment paper as this is a very hot oven (450F), and it could burn.
- Letting the chicken rest for 5 minutes is important so the juices redistribute and it remains tender and juicy!
How to make chicken fajitas
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 450F, and line a baking sheet with foil. In a small bowl, mix together the seasoning ingredients. Place the chicken and sliced veggies on the baking sheet.
Drizzle the olive oil over top, coating everything evenly. Sprinkle on the seasoning, and coat it on both sides of the chicken and veggies. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through to 165F. Let the chicken rest, cut into strips, and serve.
Substitutions and variations
- Try swapping the chicken breasts with chicken thighs. You may need to increase cook time a bit to ensure they’re nice and tender (just watch the veggies don’t burn).
- Want to add some heat? Add in 1/2 teaspoon or so of cayenne pepper or use hot chili powder.
- If you’re in a rush, you could try replacing the seasonings with a packet of store-bought fajita seasoning.
How to serve chicken fajitas
- I love serving it with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, flour tortillas, sour cream, and my Easy Guacamole. Assembling it is fun for kids too!
- It would also be delicious over rice to make chicken fajita rice bowls.
- If you want something low carb, enjoy it as-is or with cauliflower rice or spiralized veggies like zoodles.
- For a salad to go with these sheet pan fajitas, try my Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad with Rice.
Leftovers and storage
- Leftover fajitas will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Reheat on low heat in the microwave or on the stove in a small saucepan.
- You could freeze leftovers for up for 3 months, but the veggies will soften up even more, and the chicken may dry out a bit.
Who doesn’t love a sheet pan meal? Let me know if you enjoyed this easy chicken fajita recipe in the comments below or if you have questions! Tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For serving: tortillas, lime wedges, sour cream, guacamole, etc. optional, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450F and move the rack to the top third of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. I use a baker's half sheet, but a full-size sheet will work too if you want everything spread out a bit more for better browning.
- Add the chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and salt & pepper to a small bowl and mix together.
- Place the chicken breasts and veggies onto the baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil over top. Toss until everything is nicely coated in the oil, and then sprinkle the spice mixture on top and use your hands to rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the chicken and the veggies.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes (25 minutes for larger pieces of chicken) or until the chicken breasts are cooked (165F) and the veggies are tender.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting it into strips, and then serve as desired.
- Serves 4-6 as once you cut the chicken up and serve it with tortillas and toppings, not everyone will need to eat a whole chicken breast.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.