These easy shrimp tacos are a quick and simple taco recipe that's perfect when you don't have much time to cook! They're ready from start to finish in about 30 minutes.
This recipe originally appeared on The Recipe Critic. I contribute one recipe a month to Alyssa's blog. 🙂
If I had to pick an easy-to-cook protein, I'd pick shrimp over chicken any day. I have many easy shrimp recipes on my blog, but here's a few of my favorites: creamy Tuscan shrimp, this quick and easy garlic butter shrimp, and my garlic shrimp and avocado crostini.
Shrimp and tacos just go so well together. All nestled in a warm tortilla with tons of sour cream... gimme. I seem to always write up recipes when I'm hungry. Such is my life. I used flour tortillas, but feel free to use corn tortillas or hard taco shells if you want.
For this recipe, I used 31-40/pound count frozen raw shrimp. You can use smaller or larger shrimp if you wish.
How to make easy shrimp tacos
- Prep your shrimp. Make sure they’re thawed if you’re using frozen shrimp (run them under cool water). Peel them and remove the tails too.
- Get everything ready. I like to start prepping the toppings while the shrimp are thawing. Chop your veggies and get the condiments (salsa, sour cream, etc.) ready.
- Cook the shrimp. This process doesn’t take long at all (about 5 minutes or so). You simply cook the shrimp with the oil and spices until they’re pink and cooked throughout.
- Assemble your tacos. Time to top them sky high! 😉
Shrimp taco toppings
- Shredded iceberg lettuce (chop it finely)
- Tomatoes (I prefer the little ones like grape or cherry)
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Tex-Mex or Mexican cheese blend
- Red onions or scallions
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh lime juice (a must for me!)
- Chopped cilantro
Tacos are meant to be fun, so use whatever works or whatever you have on-hand.
Like easy taco recipes? You may also like these easy blackened shrimp tacos, my healthy baked salmon tacos, these Instant Pot chicken tacos, or my ground pork tacos with apple slaw.
Hope you love this recipe!
Questions about these easy shrimp tacos? Leave me a comment below!
Easy Shrimp Tacos
- 1 pound medium shrimp (thawed & peeled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8-10 medium flour tortillas
- Toppings (optional to taste): sour cream, salsa, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, etc.
- Prepare your shrimp. If they're frozen, run them under cool water until they're thawed. Peel them and remove the tails.
- Meanwhile, get your toppings ready.
- Add the shrimp to a skillet along with the olive oil and spices. Cook over medium-high heat until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through, flipping/stirring them occasionally (approx. 5-6 minutes). Add salt & pepper as needed.
- Assemble your tacos as desired and serve immediately.
- You may use taco seasoning instead of the suggested spices if that's easier for you.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper if you want to make these tacos spicy.
- To warm flour tortillas all at once, wrap them in foil and warm in a 375F oven while you're getting everything else ready.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Aimee Ping says
Love these shrimp tacos! Delicious and very easy. What else do you serve with it? Rice?
So glad you liked them!! I usually just eat tacos by themselves but this rice/black bean salad would go great: https://bit.ly/3JiADq2
Megan Jones says
u mean until the shrimp turn pink and white Not until is no longer pink
Thanks for catching that!! I will fix.
My 14 year daughter made it! Easy to make and taste great!
That's so nice to hear!! 😀
The flavor of the shrimp with this seasoning mix is amazing! Such an easy and delicious recipe. I will definitely be making it again!
Wonderful! 🙂 Thanks for your review!
Jan C says
This is a great recipe! I made the seasoning mix for the shrimp and tossed it with the oil in a bowl before putting the shrimp on our flat-top grill. Delicious! I will use it all the time when making tacos. It will be great with other seafood, too.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! 🙂 Thanks for letting me know, Jan!
Mary Davis says
Great tacos - my husband loved them!
Did you forget the salt? This looks great but the spice mix needs a little salt, in my opinion.
Hi! I guess I did forget to put "salt & pepper to taste" like I usually include in all my recipes. 🙂 Chili powder does typically contain salt, though. And shrimp are salty to begin with. I'll update it. I typically don't include exact salt quantities for recipes like this one because everyone's preferences vary. Of course, that does sometimes mean that people don't add enough salt and then blame the recipe for being bland, so I guess I can't always win haha.
Molly McDonald says
I frozen precooked shrimp. Do you think that will work ok? Maybe just warm them through with the seasonings 🤔??
I think it’ll work just fine ❤️
I tried this recipe this afternoon and it was easy and delicious.
I’m so happy you liked it!!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
Shrimp tacos are a regular at our house Natasha. We're all HUGE fans. Love your seasoning combination!
Thank you!! I agree... shrimp tacos are so good. ❤️❤️❤️