This chicken and cabbage stir fry recipe is fast and easy. The chicken is soft and tender, and the onions and cabbage melt in your mouth. Ready in just over half an hour!
I based this chicken and cabbage recipe on my popular sautéed cabbage and kielbasa recipe. It's cooked in a similar fashion, and it's just as delicious.
Since I grew up with plenty of Czech and central European food, it's no wonder that I love cabbage so much. Somehow, I don't manage to eat it that often, though. I'm always so surprised at just how flavorful fried cabbage is. It's just so good.
You really don't need much in the way of seasoning to make this recipe taste delicious. I used your standard mild paprika, some fresh garlic, and an onion, along with the usual salt & pepper. I don't feel like this recipe needs anything else, but you could always swap the mild paprika for hot paprika or smoked paprika if you wish.
This low-carb chicken and cabbage recipe is actually pretty healthy.
How to make a chicken and cabbage stir fry
- Cook the chicken until it's just done, then take it out of the pan;
- Sauté the onion in butter for a few minutes;
- Add the cabbage and cook (tossing/stirring frequently) for about 10-15 minutes or until it starts to get nice and tender.
- Add the garlic and paprika;
- Finish the dish by adding the chicken back it into the pan and heating it through. (Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below).
Making chicken sautéed with cabbage is easy. You can always use chicken thighs if you prefer, but I find chicken breast is fine since we don't overcook it. It remains juicy and tender. I actually quite enjoyed the leftovers too. The chicken was still tender, even after being microwaved the next day.
Pro tip: You don't have to be super precise with measurements here. 2-3 chicken breasts... whatever you buy or feel like putting in. I say a medium cabbage, but I bought half of a MASSIVE cabbage that I cut into half again, and that totaled about what you'd expect from a medium cabbage, so don't worry about precisely measuring.
If you want to add more paprika or garlic or whatever, go ahead. I suggest tasting and adjusting until it's perfect. Keep in mind there's a lot of cabbage in here, so add enough salt to give it flavor.
Optional: Serve with some sour cream.
Want to make a vegetarian version of this dish? Try my simple sautéed cabbage recipe.
Will you make this cabbage sautéed with chicken? I think you should give it a go!
Questions? Let me know!
Easy Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry
- 2-3 large chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green cabbage cored & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil and chicken to a skillet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Turn the burner to medium-high heat and sauté for about 7 minutes (stirring fairly often), or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter and onion to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes uncovered, stirring fairly often, until the cabbage is nice and soft (or cooked to desired tenderness). The cabbage at the bottom of the pan will start to wilt after a few minutes and it will become easier to stir. The onions will also start to lightly brown and become more flavorful.
- Stir in the garlic and paprika.
- Add the chicken back in, and cook until it's heated through, stirring fairly often. This should only take a few minutes.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper as needed (there's a lot of cabbage so I used a fair amount of salt). Serve immediately.
- You can use smoked paprika or hot paprika if you prefer.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.