This bacon and cabbage recipe is quick & easy to make and only needs a handful of everyday ingredients! Serve it as-is for a low-carb meal or try it with noodles, potatoes, or rice.
This fried cabbage and bacon recipe was inspired by one of my readers. They left a comment on one of my other sautéed cabbage recipes (try my Easy Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry or my Sautéed Cabbage and Kielbasa), and I added it to my looong list of recipes to make for the blog. I mean you can't go wrong with bacon, right? 😉
I love simple meals like this. You just need cabbage, bacon, onions, and that's it, really. I add some smoked paprika and salt & pepper for extra flavor.
This recipe is quite versatile as it can be a main course or side dish.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Don't have smoked paprika? Try regular or hot paprika.
- You could add a dash of hot sauce if you want to spice it up!
- You can definitely add a bit of garlic in here. I recommend adding 2-3 cloves a few minutes prior to the cabbage being done so it gets a chance to cook without burning.
What to serve with this recipe?
Serve it as-is if you want it to be low-carb. This would be also be delicious with boiled or baked potatoes or rice! Want to make this into cabbage and noodles with bacon? Serve this with some egg noodles or even ramen noodles. It's such a great inexpensive meal, and even the leftovers taste great.
If you've never had sautéed/fried cabbage, you're in for a treat. It's hard to describe just how yummy it is. As a girl with a Czech mom, I definitely grew up eating my fair share of cabbage.
More tasty cabbage recipes to try:
Let me know if you've made this bacon fried cabbage!
Questions? Leave me a comment below.
Bacon and Cabbage
- 6 strips bacon cut into smaller pieces
- 1 medium cabbage cored & chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the bacon into small pieces (I use kitchen shears to make this easy). Fry it in a deep skillet over medium-high heat until crispy (about 10 minutes). Once it's done, take the bacon out of the pan and leave about 2 tablespoons or so of the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion to the skillet and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes (depending on how soft you want the cabbage to be).
- Towards the last minute or two of cooking, stir in the smoked paprika and add the bacon back to the pan. Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately.
- Serving size really depends on how much people eat and if you serve it with anything. Eating it as-is with nothing serves 2 people. Eating it with egg noodles or something else serves 4, and it can serve up to 6 as a side dish.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.