This simple cabbage roll soup (stuffed cabbage soup) recipe is healthy, filling, and will keep you cozy all winter long!
So... is this actually unstuffed cabbage roll soup, I wonder? Because technically nothing is stuffed here. It just has similar ingredients to Polish stuffed cabbage rolls. Deconstructed stuffed cabbage soup, I suppose. 😛 Whatever you want to call it, this is one tasty soup.
This soup is the easy way to do cabbage rolls. Kinda like my stuffed pepper soup... all the taste without the work. Tender cabbage leaves, a tasty tomato broth, rice, and ground beef make this one hearty soup.
If you're looking for something that's flavorful and keeps you full, but you're watching your calories, I highly recommend this cabbage soup with hamburger recipe.
You may also like my Instant Pot Cabbage Soup.
How to make cabbage roll soup (overview):
Brown the beef & onion in a large soup pot, then stir in the garlic, cabbage, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, water, paprika, Italian seasoning, and rice. Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer until rice is cooked. Season to taste and serve immediately. (Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- This soup will soak up broth the longer you leave it. If you want to thin the soup when re-heating, add some more broth to it. Or leave it thick - it's delicious either way! This soup lasts a couple of days in the fridge no problem before the rice becomes too mushy.
- Swap the ground beef for ground turkey, ground pork, or even sausage meat.
Can you freeze cabbage soup?
You can, but the rice can get a little mushy when re-heating. This isn't a big deal to me, but if it bugs you and you're planning on freezing a whole batch, I'd just make it without the rice and add some cooked rice when you thaw it. That way, you won't overcook the rest of the soup (like if you added uncooked rice).
Love cabbage? Try these recipes:
- Crockpot Cabbage Soup with Beans, Sausage, and Potatoes
- Sautéed Cabbage and Kielbasa
- Simple Sautéed Cabbage
- Kielbasa Soup
- Apple Slaw Recipe
- Easy Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry
- Simple Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
Will you give this stuffed cabbage roll soup a try?
Questions? Let me know in the comments! As always, if you've made one of my recipes, tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram so I can see it.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup uncooked white rice (I used jasmine)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large soup pot and cook it over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned (about 8 minutes). If there's a lot of excess fat, spoon most of it out.
- Stir in the garlic, followed by the cabbage, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, broth, water, paprika, Italian seasoning, and rice.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Once it's just started to boil, give it a good stir, then reduce the heat and cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. I like to stir it about halfway through to make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Season soup with salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately.
- You may need to add more beef broth to leftovers as the rice tends to soak liquid up.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.