Polish dill pickle soup with smoked ham is a hearty, savory, creamy, and comforting dish. A big pot of it can be on your table in only 45 minutes!
It’s not very often that I get excited by soup, but here we are. I’ve wanted to make my own version of the classic dish (zupa ogorkowa) for a while now. My mom makes pickle soup and so does our Polish friend, so it’s something that I enjoy periodically.
I can’t say I’ve ever had a pickle soup that didn’t hit the spot, and this version definitely left me wanting more (my husband finished most of it). 😛
I get that dill pickle soup would sound very weird if you hadn’t heard of it before. Obviously you won’t like it if you don’t like pickles.
If you do like pickles, give it a chance! I promise it’s delicious.
The smoked ham adds a special little something extra to this creamy pickle soup and also makes it more filling.
Perfect winter comfort food. Or anytime comfort food, really.
This comforting dill pickle soup recipe isn’t complicated, and the soup doesn’t take ages to cook, which is nice for busy weeknights.
Obviously I don’t mind spending time in the kitchen, but I think we can all appreciate quick meals that taste just as amazing the next day.
How to make pickle soup
Sauté the onions and carrots in a large soup pot; add the pickles, potatoes, chicken broth, pickle juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, dill, and ham to the pot.
Bring to a boil and then simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
Mix the flour into the sour cream until smooth, then add it to the soup. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve with extra salt & pepper and more fresh dill if desired.
So. Dill pickle soup – yay or nay?
Will you be making this easy pickle soup recipe?
Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below!
Polish Dill Pickle Soup with Smoked Ham
A delicious tangy and comforting dill pickle soup recipe with smoked ham.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 3 large red potatoes (skins on) diced
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup pickle juice
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Handful fresh dill chopped
- 3/4 pound piece smoked ham diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot once the oil is hot. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the sour cream and flour. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Mix the flour into the sour cream until you have a smooth mixture. Stir it into the soup and cook the soup for another 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with extra fresh dill if desired.
- This soup can turn out a bit salty for some people (depending on the salt in the pickle juice) so I suggest using low-sodium chicken broth if that's a concern for you.
- Serves 4-6.