This ham and white bean soup recipe is easy, delicious, good for you, and a snap to make! Great for using up leftover ham.
This white bean soup with ham is here just in time for Christmas! I know lots of people cook hams for Xmas, so this recipe is perfect for re-purposing that ham in a very tasty way that is also pretty healthy.
I didn’t add any kind of cream in here… just plenty of veggies. There’s a time and place for cream, and right after Xmas is probably not the best time. 😛
This leftover ham soup is hearty and filling, but it also provides a nice break from some of the heavier food I’m sure we have been/will be indulging in.
I am definitely relieved to be mostly done with baking/making sweets for a while. If you’ve read this blog for any length of time, you will know that desserts ain’t my thing. I try (hard) around Christmas, but it definitely takes me more effort to come up with a sweet recipe than a savory one. And to put a healthier twist onto sweet recipes is even harder, but I try to do that as well.
I am definitely excited to bring on healthy January recipes!
If you’re looking for other recipes that are great for leftover ham (or just ham in general that isn’t leftover), try my one pot ham and pea pasta, my ham and potato soup, or this pickle soup with ham.
This white bean soup recipe is one of those soups that gets better the longer you leave it. I very much relished the leftovers a few days after I made it.
The flavors intensify and it’s just really, really good.
Hope you love this easy ham and bean soup!
Ham and White Bean Soup
This ham and bean soup recipe is easy, delicious, good for you, and a snap to make! Great for using up leftover ham.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 large carrot peeled & chopped finely
- 4 sticks celery chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 5 dashes Italian seasoning
- 2 + cups cooked ham chopped
- 2 (19 fluid ounce) cans white beans drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot. Sauté the onions, carrot, and celery for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and flour and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the Italian seasoning, ham, white beans, veg broth, and water to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium (or medium low if it's bubbling too much), and let the soup simmer for at least 15-20 minutes (the flavor will intensify the longer you cook it).
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serves 4-6.
- This soup makes great leftovers.