This lemon chicken white bean soup is light, healthy, and flavorful. It has pasta, veggies, beans, and plenty of tender chicken in a tasty lemony broth.
This soup was inspired by my Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. I love a lemon broth in soups, and it seems like people can't get enough chicken soup... so here's another for your recipe box. 🙂
This white bean chicken soup uses leftover/already cooked chicken (I bought a rotisserie chicken), so it's pretty hassle-free. It comes together in under 40 minutes, so this is something that would work for a weeknight dinner.
Want to easily make a batch of chicken for meal prep/soups/salads? Try my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe.
Recipe notes & tips:
- The pasta in this soup will soak up the broth. Add extra chicken broth to leftovers as needed. If you're planning on freezing/not eating the bulk, I recommend cooking the pasta separately and adding it just prior to serving.
- This soup can be frozen or kept in the fridge for a few days.
- You can swap the macaroni for a different pasta if you like (I prefer the small, shorter shapes for this recipe... orzo would work too). I didn't include a ton of pasta, so you can definitely add a cup+ if you want a heartier soup, but you may then need to add a bit more broth (especially when reheating leftovers). Or, you could double the beans and leave the pasta out altogether.
- This soup is pretty forgiving, so feel free to throw in whatever veggies you happen to have on hand.
- Rosemary (fresh or dried) would work well in this soup if you want a more herby flavor. If you happen to have some fresh herbs, you can definitely throw 'em in.
- You can add more lemon juice than suggested or even zest a whole lemon into the soup.
- Sensitive to salt? Use low sodium chicken broth.
- The flour helps to make the broth a little more substantial (along with the starch released from the pasta).
You may also like...
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Italian Sausage White Bean Soup
- Tuscan Chicken Soup with White Beans and Pasta
- White Chicken Chili
Questions about this lemon chicken white bean soup? Let me know in the comments below. Tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Lemon Chicken White Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sticks celery chopped small
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled & chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (15 fluid ounce) can white beans drained
- 3/4 cup uncooked macaroni or ditalini pasta
- 2 cups cooked/rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or more, to taste)
- 2 cups (packed) fresh baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the oil, celery, onion, and carrots to a soup pot and sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about a minute.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth white stirring so the flour dissolves.
- Add in the Italian seasoning, white beans, and pasta. Turn the heat up to high and let the soup come to a boil.
- Give it a stir, and then cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes (stir it a couple of times to ensure the pasta isn't sticking to the bottom of the pot as it cooks).
- Add in the chicken, lemon juice (I add 2+ tablespoons since I like it very lemony), and spinach. Cook for another few minutes until it's heated thorough and the spinach has wilted. Season with salt & pepper as needed.
- Leftovers will soak up the broth, so you may need to add more chicken broth when reheating.
- Sensitive to salt? Use low-sodium chicken broth.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.