This ham and potato soup is simple, hearty, and healthy. It uses everyday ingredients, and this version has no dairy.
This is such a tasty and easy soup, and I already have a Crockpot ham and potato soup and an Instant Pot ham and potato soup that I posted a couple of years ago, so now you've really got options haha. I figured I should probably do a stovetop version as well... so here it is! All three are equally tasty, but some people prefer one cooking method over another. Aaaand I wanted to make this soup again.
I know that some ham and potato soups are creamy, but this one is not. I went the lighter route with this one, and it's perfectly tasty without heavy cream. That's not to say that I won't make a creamy one at some point since you all know that creamy recipes are totally my jam. 😉
This is a great leftover ham and potato soup recipe (like if you have some leftover from Christmas or Easter or just a Sunday roast), but you can also buy ham for this recipe (like I usually do). I just buy the little (about 2 pounds) hickory smoked hams from my local grocery store.
How to make ham and potato soup
- Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery in a soup pot;
- Stir in the garlic, then add the ham, potatoes, Italian seasoning, broth, and water;
- Bring the soup to a boil then cover (with lid slightly open) and reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes (we want the potatoes to be fall-apart tender);
- Using a hand-held potato masher, mash some of the potatoes to give the soup a little more texture. Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve.
(Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- You can use a different variety of potatoes if you wish.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth if salt is a concern for you (ham can be fairly salty).
- This soup can definitely be frozen.
More tasty soup recipes to try:
Will you give this easy ham and potato soup recipe a try?
Questions? Made this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram if you've made this or another one of my recipes.
Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (approx.) smoked ham cut into small pieces
- 2.5 pounds Russet potatoes peeled & cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your celery, carrot, and onion and add them to a large soup pot with the olive oil. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prep your ham and potatoes (or you can prep them at the start - it's up to you!).
- Stir in the garlic, then add the ham, potatoes, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and water to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a gentle boil. Cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar and reduce the heat so it's simmering. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are nice and tender (I like them to easily fall apart).
- Using a potato masher, lightly mash some of the potatoes right in the pot. I like a mix of potato pieces and a bit of mash. Season with salt & pepper and serve immediately. This soup tastes even better the next day!
- Try the slow cooker version or the Instant Pot version of this recipe.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth if salt is a concern for you.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.