This slow cooker ham and potato soup recipe is easy, healthy, and comforting. It's a delicious set it and forget it dairy-free Crockpot soup recipe.
This Crockpot ham and potato soup recipe came about because I wanted to make a slow cooker version of my Instant Pot ham and potato soup. I decided to update the photos in that recipe and do the slow cooker version at the same time because I'm efficient and on top of things and all that. 😉 I also now have a stovetop ham and potato soup now as well.
The two soups are very close in method and taste, but this one is handy for those who don't own an IP.
This easy ham and potato soup recipe is one of my favorites. It's healthy, hearty, simple, and warms your tummy. As we head into crisper days, a soup like this is definitely what's needed.
This soup consists of everyday, simple ingredients:
- Ham (use leftover roasted ham or just buy some)
- Potatoes (I prefer the starchy Russets, but you can sub a different variety if you wish)
- Chicken broth
- Italian seasoning
How to make Crockpot ham and potato soup
Making ham soup in a slow cooker is basically all prep, and then you're good. It takes me about 20 minutes to get everything chopped and ready - not bad.
You then slow cook it for 8 hours or until the potatoes are nice and tender. I like to mash some of the potatoes to thicken the broth a bit, but that step is optional.
I bought a piece of hickory smoked ham from my local grocery store for this soup, but you could also use leftover ham from Easter or Christmas (or whenever). This is definitely one tasty soup from leftover ham.
Hope you'll give this Crockpot ham and potato soup recipe a try!
Questions? Let me know in the comments below.
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound (approx.) smoked ham cut into small pieces
- 2.5 pounds Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your ingredients and add them all to your Crockpot. I cook this soup on low for 8 hours. Depending on how large your potato and carrot pieces are, you may be able to cook it for a bit less. I like to cook the potatoes until they're very soft.
- Using a potato masher, lightly mash some of the potatoes right in the slow cooker. I like a mix of potato pieces and a bit of mash. Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately. This soup makes great leftovers.
- This is the 7-quart Crockpot I used to make this recipe.
- Here's the stovetop version of this soup, and I've also got an Instant Pot version of this soup.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth if salt is a concern for you.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.