This Instant Pot ham and potato soup recipe is easy, healthy, quick, and dairy-free. It has a slow-cooked taste with none of the waiting! Ready in a little over half an hour.
This potato and ham soup was surprisingly flavorful. It doesn’t contain many ingredients, either!
Not to say my usual recipes are tasteless (ha), but this is exactly the type of recipe that benefits from being cooked in an electric pressure cooker. It cooks for 13 minutes (including sautéing), and it tastes like it’s been cooked for hours.
I was sad when I finished the leftovers. This healthy ham and potato soup is simple and hearty, and I couldn’t get enough. Aside from the ham (you’ll probably have to buy it for this recipe), this recipe contains everyday ingredients that you’re likely to already have in your kitchen.
The key to making this taste so good so quickly is cooking it under pressure.
Is it weird that I now hear the Queen/David Bowie song whenever I use/think about my Instant Pot? Probably. I sometimes even make my husband sing it while my Instant Pot is doing its thing. Yes, I’m annoying.
Don’t own an Instant Pot? Try my Crockpot ham and potato soup.
When I make this soup, I typically buy a piece of hickory smoked ham from my local grocery store, but this would also be a great recipe if you cooked a large ham for a special occasion like Christmas or Easter or just a Sunday lunch. This makes the perfect leftover ham soup.
This easy ham and potato soup recipe doesn’t need super precise measurements. I’ve made this with exactly 1 pound of ham as well as a bit over a pound. I’ve made this with as little as 2 pounds of Russet potatoes and as much as 2.5 pounds. Again, anything around that mark is fine and will work just fine.
Keep in mind that the more “stuff” you add to your Instant Pot, the longer it’ll take to get up to pressure, but generally it shouldn’t take more than about 15 minutes or so.
Hope you love this easy Instant Pot potato soup recipe!
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
This Instant Pot ham and potato soup recipe is easy, healthy, quick, and dairy-free. It has a slow-cooked taste with none of the waiting!
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (approx.) smoked ham cut into small pieces
- 2.5 pounds Russet potatoes peeled & cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 dashes Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your celery, carrot, and onion and add them to your Instant Pot along with the olive oil. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prep your ham and potatoes.
- Add the ham, potatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and water to your electric pressure cooker. Set the lid on "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. It'll take 10-15 minutes for the Instant Pot to get up to pressure.
- Once the countdown has finished, release the pressure manually (use caution - soup can splatter a bit).
- Using a potato masher, lightly mash some of the potatoes right in the Instant Pot. I like a mix of potato pieces and a bit of mash. Season with salt & pepper and serve immediately. This soup makes great leftovers.
- Inactive time in this recipe indicates the time it takes the Instant Pot to get up to pressure.
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Don't own an Instant Pot? Try the slow cooker version of this recipe.
Calorie information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee.