This one pot ham and pea pasta recipe is quick, simple, and a perfect way to use up leftover ham from the holidays! Ready in under 30 minutes.
I made this creamy ham pasta recipe a one pot pasta dish because I wanted the pasta to cook in the half-and-half and work its magic to thicken the sauce. Full-fat cream is my usual go-to, but I want to explore making some of the creamy dishes I love a little bit lower in calories without sacrificing texture. The issue I have with subbing half-and-half or milk in creamy dishes is that the sauce generally just isn’t the same. Watery cream sauces are sad sauces. I am happy to report though that the starch in the pasta did thicken the sauce to an acceptable level, and we saved some calories!
It’s also easier to just chuck it all in one pot, don’t you think? Fewer dishes too.
This easy ham pasta recipe really couldn’t be much simpler. Even developing this recipe went really well. It worked like a charm on my first try, which is really nice considering that does not always happen. 😀
The sauce is creamy but not too heavy. Prep time is minimal since you’re basically just chopping an onion and some ham.
I did intend this recipe to use leftover cooked ham, but if you really like ham, you could just make this for the sake of making it, of course!
My husband loves ham and peas, and he definitely was a happy bunny when I gave him this to taste test.
Hope you love this leftover ham pasta recipe!
Ham and Pea Pasta
This one pot ham and pea pasta recipe is quick, simple, and a perfect way to use up leftover ham from the holidays!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups fusilli pasta
- 4 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1-2 cups cooked ham, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional), to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a fairly large pot. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant; about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, half-and-half, pasta, and Italian seasoning. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 10 minutes, giving it a stir every so often.
- The pasta should be about done - give it a taste, and if it's nearly cooked, add in the ham and peas. Cook it for another 5 minutes or so until the ham and peas are warmed through.
- Serve immediately with parmesan if desired.
Courses Main Course
Love ham? You may also like my Polish dill pickle soup with smoked ham.
Made one of my recipes? Tag me on IG @saltandlavender and hashtag #saltandlavender so I can see it 🙂
All images and content are © Salt & Lavender.