This beef and cabbage stir fry is quick and simple to make, has an addictive sweet and savory peanut-hoisin sauce, and it's absolutely delicious served with rice.
This Asian-inspired stir fry recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. It comes together quickly, and it's really comforting. I occasionally find it very hard to resist eating more than I need to test recipes that I make for the blog (like even if I've just had lunch... story of my life), and this was one of them. Something about that sauce just speaks to me. Cabbage is perpetually underrated here in North America, in my opinion, but it's especially delicious when sautéed. And beef is my favorite... so there you go.
You could serve this ground beef and cabbage stir fry with rice like I did, but it would also work with noodles (try ramen noodles, udon, or even rice noodles) or by itself as a lower carb option.
Recipe notes & tips:
- I wouldn't say this recipe is spicy (even with the sriracha), but you can leave it out if it's not something you buy or enjoy. On the flipside, feel free to add more if you want to kick up the spice.
- I use my Microplane to grate the ginger (I always keep a piece of fresh ginger in my freezer so I never run out and it grates much more easily).
- You can generally find hoisin sauce and sriracha sauce in the same place as soy sauce in the grocery store.
- If you buy a small cabbage (like one of the smallest ones you'll see at the store), that'll be more than enough for the 4 cups chopped cabbage this recipe calls for.
- As with any recipe, you can definitely add more of an ingredient to customize it to your tastes. Don't by shy if you want to add more hoisin sauce, for example! I don't think you can go wrong with recipes like this. 🙂
Other ground beef recipes to try:
- Beef Ramen Noodles (Stir Fry)
- Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Simple Ground Beef Casserole
- Easy Beef Bowls
Questions about this beef and cabbage stir fry? Ask me in the comments below. Made one of my recipes? Tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram.
Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- 4 cups green cabbage chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 heaping tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sriracha sauce or more to taste
- Chop the cabbage and onion.
- Add the ground beef to a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook it, breaking it up with your spoon as you go along, until it's just browned (about 5-6 minutes). I don't drain the little bit of fat released, but if you use fattier ground beef, you may want to spoon some of it out.
- Stir in the garlic & ginger and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the cabbage and onion and continue sautéing, stirring occasionally, for another 8-10 minutes or until the cabbage is softened to your liking and the onions are cooked.
- Take the skillet off the heat and stir in the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, and sriracha sauce (feel free to taste it then add more of any ingredient you choose if needed). Serve immediately (I like to serve it over rice). I garnished with scallions mostly to add some color to the photos... that's totally optional!
- Use low-sodium soy sauce if sensitive to salt.
- This dish isn't spicy, but feel free to leave out the sriracha if it's not your thing.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.