This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This spicy chipotle sweet potato soup is a healthy and flavorful vegan soup with a nice kick of heat! It’s wonderfully silky and will really warm you up this fall.
How did this spicy sweet potato soup recipe come about? Well… I had two sweet potatoes that desperately needed to be used up. I didn’t get to them on the weekend (when I do most of my blog cooking).
It was the middle of the week, I didn’t feel like going to the store, and I was walking home from work trying to visualize what I had in my pantry.
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention, so this soup was born from what I had in stock.
Exciting story, right?! I am an exciting person. I almost fell asleep reading that too.
Anyway, this healthy sweet potato soup recipe really is moderately spicy, so consider this a warning. I suggest just using the adobo sauce vs. adobo sauce + a whole chipotle chili pepper if you need the soup to be a bit milder. Let’s just say I couldn’t have a whole bowl of this myself (shakes head pathetically), but I snuck a few spoonfuls and really liked the taste in between flaming mouthfuls.
I also realized that the size of the chipotle peppers vary depending on the brand you buy. The one I had in my pantry contained fairly large peppers, so keep that in mind.
Oh and just a note on the photos. I feel compelled to mention this in case you make the soup and wonder why the heck it’s not bright orange. I think I usually post photos that are pretty true-to-life, but for some reason the soup looks more orange than it really is. It’s more red in real life.
I had to find a balance between brightening the photos and sacrificing the red color. I garnished the soup with parsley and some dried edible flowers. Totally optional of course. 😛 I think a dollop of Greek yogurt would work great as a real-life garnish and also help cut some of the heat.
If you like sweet-spicy combinations, I think you will enjoy this easy sweet potato soup recipe!
You may also like…
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup
- Rosemary & Sage Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
Questions? Ask in the comments below!
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 chipotle chili pepper + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your sweet potatoes and onion.
- Add the oil to a pot on medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 5-7 minutes or until it's lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, chipotle chili pepper + adobo sauce, tomato paste, and sweet potatoes. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover with the lid slightly ajar for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
- Blend the soup in batches until smooth (I recommend letting the soup cool for 10-15 minutes first to do this more safely). Season with salt & pepper and serve immediately. Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- This soup is moderately spicy as written. If you want a milder version, I suggest using just the adobo sauce. The chipotle chili pepper I put in here was fairly large... the size of the peppers in those little cans can vary.
- Serves 4+
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.